• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Identification Help Sought

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Petef101

32 Cal
Reaction score
A neighbor acquired this rifle in 1983 as a wallhanger and is seeking information about it. Etched into the top of the barrel is "J. Armstrong". No other markings. Most of the parts covered by the lock plate are missing and the hammer was held on by a wood screw through the lock plate into a plug of wood putty. Photos attached. Any help on manufacturer or kit maker would be appreciated.
20201127_151954.jpg
20201127_152050.jpg
20201127_152118.jpg
20201127_152118.jpg

More photos please. The front trigger is missing too. Doubtful it was a kit, I believe it's original from the early to mid percussion era. From what I can see it looks like it could be restored to shooting condition.

Here are a couple more. As
20201127_152030.jpg
20201127_152030.jpg
20201127_152001.jpg
you can see, there was stock damage around the hole under the lock plate.

IMO, you have a rifle made by John Armstrong Jr, of Gettysburg, PA - the son of a fine Kentucky rifle maker (John, Sr.) - circa 1855.

There was a John Armstrong from Emmitsburg, MD, but he died in 1827 - a bit too early for a caplock rifle.

It's well worth a correct restoration.

Assuming that to be true, how do I go about getting my neighbor in touch with the right person(s) to confirm and/or do the work.

Hopefully someone else with better knowledge will answer, but my first guess would be to contact a museum curator. They should be able to provide good local contacts.
Thanks for sharing the photos, pretty remarkable what's out there hanging over mantles.

Assuming that to be true, how do I go about getting my neighbor in touch with the right person(s) to confirm and/or do the work.
Contact the NMLRA office or NMLRA Gun Makers Hall Chairman Ben Quearry 812-340-2004. They put you in contact with a quality person.
Ironically, I was email with Wallace Gusler just this morning - different topic

Latest posts

Back