• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Identification assistance request on a brass pepperbox

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all.
May I ask if members could assist me please in identifying what I have here?
I bought a bunch of black powder stuff from an estate and this was in a box.
I can not find any markings on it at all. Looks to be about .22 cal.
Thank you for your time and any help.
Gary
PB.1.JPG
PB.2.JPG
PB.3.JPG

5/8" x 5/8" smoothbore barrel , does not swivel , All four barrels with one cap.
Grips are marked on both F.B. SMITH
Length Overall : 6.75 ”
NO – Ramrod
The estate it can out of the guy was a machinist / jack of all trades.

IMO, you got yerself a beautiful homemade box lock pepperbox - the Gold Standard for a period gambler's "across-the-table" gun. :thumb:

The gun pictured is not what I'd call a pepperbox. At one time there were a whole bunch of relatively inexpensive, cheaply made, kits and finished novelty pocket guns offered by various manufacturers, this appears to be one. They had some pretty interesting names. As an example there was a double barrel pocket pistol called "Snake Eyes". A visit to a Gun Digest from the mid 1970s or early 1980s would likely yield a listing of these offerings.

Hello all.
May I ask if members could assist me please in identifying what I have here?
I bought a bunch of black powder stuff from an estate and this was in a box.
I can not find any markings on it at all. Looks to be about .22 cal.
Thank you for your time and any help.
GaryView attachment 175004View attachment 175005View attachment 175006

I think that should be called a "volley gun", though the classic ones were "duck foot" with three or four barrels in single line. The duck foot volley pistols fired all barrels at once.

With the right load, that might deliver something akin to four hits from a hot .22. Might make an assailant reconsider his aggression, but you might want to have two of them if the first doesn't work or do the job ....

LD

Thank you GREZ55,
Turns out it’s a .177 not a .22….
.177 air gun pellets fit perfectly.
So far It works well with 2g FFF goex and 2 BBs per barrel held in with wasp wadding.
I also tried 2g FFF goex with a BB topped with a 7.4g .177 pellet, no wasp wadding.
Now to go find some rats….

Back