• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Idenity of a TC hawken.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for grins folks! , what would a Hawken from that era be valued at?
For a T/C Hawken, value is based primarily on condition and secondly on demand. In parts of the country where lots of previously owned T/C Hawken rifles are available value is lower. The only era discriminator for value is the late production rifles with the QLA (muzzle counterbore to allegedly make loading a Maxi-Ball easier). T/C Hawkens with the QLA have less value.

True . . . .
The rear sight might help . . . .as well as the position of the clean out screw on the bolster . . . .
The earlier rear sight had more “detail” . . .and the screw “moved” from the side to the top.
Also, the hammer shape, whether it says “HAWKEN” on the barrel, QLA, and if it has all of the warning verbiage. The serial numbers differ between calibers and models, as well.

The three main things that determine value are condition, condition, and condition. What day it was made has not real bearing on value. A first-year production gun in mint condition might bring a bit more as would one from TC's custom shop Fox Ridge Outfitters. A special edition such as the Hawken Classic with all steel furniture and no patchbox or the Cleland 40cal match rifle will bring somewhat of a premium.

Also, the hammer shape, whether it says “HAWKEN” on the barrel, QLA, and if it has all of the warning verbiage. The serial numbers differ between calibers and models, as well.
Can you elaborate on the hammer shape? The hammer spur on my Hawken stands more proud than that of my later single trigger Renegade which lays back more. Guessing this might be the difference?

Mine does not say "Hawken" on the barrel.

Can you elaborate on the hammer shape? The hammer spur on my Hawken stands more proud than that of my later single trigger Renegade which lays back more. Guessing this might be the difference?

Mine does not say "Hawken" on the barrel.
My understanding is that the straighter hammer is the older style. Also, I believe no “HAWKEN” on the barrel is older, as well. My .54 is a kit from 1981 and has the straighter hammer and no “HAWKEN” or warning text on it.

Latest posts

Back