• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ideas?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Green River barrel. The barrel tapers to the end and then flares out. From what i can see online they stopped stamping the barrels with their name on kit guns in 1977.
barrel.JPG

Swamped barrels were not a catalog item for GRRW. If it was swamped in the GRRW shop, it was a special order or a special project of an employee.

It could also have been swamped after-market. The "hat" over "W" is not a mark of any GRRW employee that I know of, so it could be the mark of the person that swamped the barrel.

The caliber and twist stamp is in an unusual location for a GRRW barrel. These were usually stamped on the face of the breech like this.

.45cal 15-16x38 markings.jpg

I suspect these marks were added to the barrel flat by the same person that stamped the "hat" over "W" mark.

You have some first-class parts! If you feel they are more than you want your son to deal with on your first build together, you could send them to a professional builder. You don't necessarily have to sell them. With parts like that, you are already well ahead toward the cost of a custom rifle. I bought a GRRW barrel off another forum's classified section recently and had it shipped directly to a builder, who will use it to make a rifle for me. Just decide exactly what kind of rifle you want and discuss it with the builder.

I've never seen or heard of a swamped GRRW barrel, although I have heard of people sending straight octagon barrels to barrel makers, to have them planed to a different profile.

God luck!

Notchy Bob

End of the barrel measures .982"
6" from the muzzle measures .935"
breech measures 1.110"
44" long
Wood rod goes in 43.5"

Latest posts

Back