• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ideas?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buickmarti

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Kid convinced me that we need a flintlock and the pile of parts was way to cheap.
Sorry about the bad photos (they came from the auction webpage).
Going to pick it up today
. 1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG

Lock vise to take your lock apart if you want to. Takes the tension off the springs for disassembly and put back together.

that is a spring vise used when removing the mainspring. To use, the lock is placed on half-cock, the vise is cramped on the spring, the hammer is returned to full down position which removes all spring tension, the spring is removed from the lock. The spring is returned to its place in the lock by reversing the steps.

Last edited:
Man, talk about jumping into the deep end. Good luck with your build. Post some pics now and then and please, ask some questions, lol
Neil

Forgot to mention it is a .54
I am lucky that I live really close to TOW.
Once I decide what I want to build I will go buy one of the full size drawings they sell.
Now to just find a straight looking 2x4 and have the kid start whittling out a stock. That should keep him off his phone for a while.

Once I decide what I want to build I will go buy one of the full size drawings they sell.
Now to just find a straight looking 2x4 and have the kid start whittling out a stock. That should keep him off his phone for a while.
Watch alot of youtube videos. Cuts way back on the mistakes. I posted a restoration video on the Bridesberg when I built it. It's good to document everything with a camera. It helps figure out what you have and don't have.

I have a large plank of basswood to whittle stocks from. It's much easier than walnut, and much less expensive. It's only for making pattern stocks as it wouldn't hold up to shooting. It's also easy to practice various techniques on. A boy could have lots of fun with it.

Buick..........Folks on theForum are probably tired of me saying this, but you are a prime candidate to get a copy of Greg Dixon's classic "How TO book," The Art of Building The Pa. Longrifle. " Most book sections in catalogs have this basic , step by step book. It has drawings , text , w/ sage advice , and the best part , it's around $20 bucks. A 5 star choice ..............oldwood

You are going to need a wider board than a 2X4--if you were serious about that size. You will need at least a 2X8.
I strongly suggest you heed oldwood's suggestion. Other sources would be Recreating the American Longrifle by Buchele and The Gunsmith of Grenville County by Alexander.

Last edited:
Already own the book but thanks for the suggestion.
Almost tempted to build a heavy stock long distance bench gun - just for fun.

Well I picked it up.
Green River barrel. The barrel tapers to the end and then flares out. From what i can see online they stopped stamping the barrels with their name on kit guns in 1977.
barrel.JPG
W.C. Cain trigger with probably the lightest hair trigger that I have ever felt (have to adjust this).
cain.JPG
cain1.JPG

Stainless lock - no name
act1.JPG
act.JPG
Cast butt plate.
butt.JPG

Walter Cain locks and triggers were the best of the best when he was making them. He used to start down one of the Commercial rows at the NMLRA spring shoot selling his stuff out of an old brown suit case and be out of locks and triggers in a few mins.. His Siler's , large and small , were perfect , if you could get one.

The more I research these parts the more I am not sure I can do any justice to the parts.
Leaning towards putting everything in the for sale area.

Latest posts

Back