Ideas?

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

plmeek

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Green River barrel. The barrel tapers to the end and then flares out. From what i can see online they stopped stamping the barrels with their name on kit guns in 1977.
barrel.JPG
Swamped barrels were not a catalog item for GRRW. If it was swamped in the GRRW shop, it was a special order or a special project of an employee.

It could also have been swamped after-market. The "hat" over "W" is not a mark of any GRRW employee that I know of, so it could be the mark of the person that swamped the barrel.

The caliber and twist stamp is in an unusual location for a GRRW barrel. These were usually stamped on the face of the breech like this.

.45cal 15-16x38 markings.jpg

I suspect these marks were added to the barrel flat by the same person that stamped the "hat" over "W" mark.

Notchy Bob

50 Cal.
Reaction score
You have some first-class parts! If you feel they are more than you want your son to deal with on your first build together, you could send them to a professional builder. You don't necessarily have to sell them. With parts like that, you are already well ahead toward the cost of a custom rifle. I bought a GRRW barrel off another forum's classified section recently and had it shipped directly to a builder, who will use it to make a rifle for me. Just decide exactly what kind of rifle you want and discuss it with the builder.

I've never seen or heard of a swamped GRRW barrel, although I have heard of people sending straight octagon barrels to barrel makers, to have them planed to a different profile.

God luck!

Notchy Bob

oldwood

54 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
In today's money, you have pushing $550 worth of high quality parts. You should spend the few bucks for a precarved stock, and build a rifle.

buickmarti

32 Cal.
Reaction score
End of the barrel measures .982"
6" from the muzzle measures .935"
breech measures 1.110"
44" long
Wood rod goes in 43.5"