• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Ideas

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I use a bore brush I always use one that is well worn so I't not so tight. Also before you try to pull it back out, torn or rotate the brush some so the bristles can change directions.

Actually ... you have an experimental barrel on your hands;

I would FORCE that breech plug outta that otherwise good barrel and throw the breech plug as far from you as you could get it.

Next I would send the barrel to Bobby for a opening as large as it would go with a PRB twist consistent with the new bore.

Next get a breech plug that fits the breech threads with a nice FLAT face.

Look for a used stock on fleabay and a lock from TOTW.

Build a nice little hunting rifle ... maybe a flintlock. Be a fun project I think.

Would Bobby Hoyt be able to drill out the opening of the breech to the point that it would be like having a straight barrel without a breech and reborn to a .45? Greg

Not sure what l will do with barrel now. As they say lock, stock and barrel but all I have now is a barrel. Since I put the new barrel on the Crockett rifle. Gonna have to give it some thought. I’m not a fan of the patent breech design. However, my TC has one and never had any issue cleaning that rifle but it is .50 Hawken.
I have a brand new unfinished stock in the box , would be willing to sell or would you want to sell your barrel

I think he's asking if you can drill out the patent breech in the breechplug. No you can't because I don't think there would be enough metal left in the plug by the threads for safety. I am not an engineer or machinist so I can't say for sure but I think it makes sense.

I've never found these bronze brushes to work on barrels with the traditional deep cut rifling. They want to get stuck in the bore. Unless you use one that is well undersized which sort of defeats the purpose. However they seem to work ok with shallow groove rifling barrels like CW type muskets.

Ok ok, you guys got me all excited about doin something. Here’s a hair brain idea. Hate the tang mounting and want a .40 cal. Since I need a stock anyway, cut off the barrel at the breech plug, install a breech plug with hook and bore out to .40.

I have a couple recommendations for possible barrel work on Spanish made muzzleloader, anybody heard of these gentlemen?

Mr. Erwin Fagel, Deer Creek Gun Works, Waldron, Indiana, who may have a cure.

Mr. Brad Emig, Cabin Creek Muzzleloading Supply, York, Pennsylvania, who may provide skilled gunsmithing assistance.

I have a couple recommendations for possible barrel work on Spanish made muzzleloader, anybody heard of these gentlemen?

Mr. Erwin Fagel, Deer Creek Gun Works, Waldron, Indiana, who may have a cure.

Mr. Brad Emig, Cabin Creek Muzzleloading Supply, York, Pennsylvania, who may provide skilled gunsmithing assistance.

The cabin creek boys are a good lot. Make nice gun worms, too.

A .40 is an absolute joy. One big benefit over the other small bores is you can use a stout 3/8” hickory ramrod that is very close to bore size and strong. Try that with a .36 or .32.

Load a light 25-35 grain charge for squirrel and rabbit, and throw two measures for whitetail (at close range) and yotes. Hits with more authority at range for woods walks, yet is still economical to feed and fouls less. Moderate recoil makes for an easy shooter even in a light gun. About the best all-purpose size there is IMNSHO.

Unfortunately, neither TOTW or Cabin Creek boys are interested in taking on the job. Still waiting to hear back from Deer Creek.

Back