Quantcast

Ideas for camp gear to go with my wedge tent

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

brazosland

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Buying a wedge to use hunting and camping this fall and spring.

My goal is to be ready for some period events in the spring and for sure next summer. Would like to have an approximate 1810 ish period, early fur trade.

I would appreciate any suggestions on gear to go with the tent and for my camp.

I am particularly interested in what is used for sleeping. Not having been to an event I suppose every could just sleep on the ground for a week, but I am betting not. Short cot covered with blankets?

I assume a wood box or two for camp gear. Are modern boxes just covered with a deer skin?

For a chair I was planning to make a couple of Viking chairs. Simple and easy to pack.

I want to be minimalist, I know everyone has there own ideas about what that means. I put is appreciated. Pictures particularly are helpful.

kje54

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score

My goal is to be ready for some period events in the spring and for sure next summer. Would like to have an approximate 1810 ish period, early fur trade.

I am particularly interested in what is used for sleeping. Not having been to an event I suppose every could just sleep on the ground for a week, but I am betting not. Short cot covered with blankets?

I assume a wood box or two for camp gear. Are modern boxes just covered with a deer skin?

For a chair I was planning to make a couple of Viking chairs. Simple and easy to pack.

I want to be minimalist, I know everyone has there own ideas about what that means. I put is appreciated. Pictures particularly are helpful.
A large blanket covering the cot (placed over cot before bedding) works well. Viking chairs are amazingly UNcomfortable to sit in, at least for me they are. I'm building a three legged camp stool that I have found to be the most comfortable camp seating I have ever sat on. I'm putting one together, have the thick oak dowels cut to size and am trying to decide on sewing a heavy duty canvas seat or a leather seat. As for holding the legs together I'm considering hemp rope lashed to the legs instead of metal hardware to make it more period correct.

Jaeger

40 Cal.
Reaction score

Spend around $100 and get a self-inflating air foam mattress (spend some extra $$ and get the one that is extra wide and long), then go to Lowe's and buy some cheap canvas painter tarps. Fold one over and sew it on a machine to "de-farb" the air mattress by making an extra large covering bag to go over it. Make it big enough so that you can slide a modern sleeping bag inside if need be, and then cover with wool blankets if needed. I've slept warm in temps as low as -13°F in my set-up. If you don't use it in cold temps, then just sleep on top of the covered mattress.

Reaction score
Being I am getting older I use a canvas army cot and a cot mattress with a canvas cover. I believe the mattress was bought from panther primitives, a couple of blankets across the cot that hangs to almost the ground will cover the cot well and also allow storage space under the cot. This will put you up off the ground in case a river runs through it. A small folding table is also nice I have a seamstress table that has folding legs and canvas folding chairs be careful with the chairs as they wear you will want to replace the canvas. A couple of plain wooden boxes for storage , and a candle lantern or two and a canvas fly or dining awning is very good . This for a heavy camp of at least 4-5 days and with the wife, if own my own a small tarp and sleep on the ground.

kje54

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score

Also you could get a "double door" wedge tent (flaps on either end) and set it up baker tent style like Tenngun's camp set up.
@tenngun show him the picture of your wedge tent setup.

brazosland

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Also you could get a "double door" wedge tent (flaps on either end) and set it up baker tent style like Tenngun's camp set up.
@tenngun show him the picture of your wedge tent setup.
Great replies! I am also definitely getting a two door wedge for summer use.

Phil Coffins

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I like something with a back rest, this one is simply a 2x12 with a hole cut in one half and a tab formed on the other half that slides together. Packs flat and a hide on it makes a conferrable rest.
IMG_0282 (2) by Oliver Sudden, on Flickr

kje54

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Great replies! I am also definitely getting a two door wedge for summer use.
During the winter I showed up at Cedar Creek for my first event as an official blue belly (had done it numerous times as a corn fed). Didn't have a tent at the time so one of the guys lent me a dog tent but I had no poles for it. I laid the gum blanket on the ground, half ot the dog tent over that, my ticking pad (egg crate foam filled) then my bedding and finally the second half of the dog tent over the whole thing. I think it was down into the upper 20s that night and it was the warmest I've ever slept "in a tent" even though everyone thought I would freeze to death that way. Heavy canvas is warm when added to wool blankets and seals the heat in by providing an extra thermal layer that doesn't breath as much as wool does.

kje54

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I just found out that I’ve been using a “Viking” chair, had to google it.:dunno:
I knew what they were from my Civ War days. Made one on a friend's recommendation, hated it, could never get comfortable in it, hurt my butt and back. I either gave it away or used the wood to make something else, I might have even tossed it in the fire, don't remember.

pat i.

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Make a list of things you think you will use and then cut it in half. Before loading up on cast iron and all the other accoutrements that look cool go to a few events and see what kind of camp you want to have. I like the minimalist approach. Some guys like the full service. Decide which you want and then start shelling out the Benjamins. As far as sleeping I like a coleman cot. A four point wool blanket will cover the legs and sleeping bag if used for a winter camp and theres room for storage under it.

pat i.

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I'd also get a decent chair since you'll be in it a lot. I use one of those slat chairs that slide together. I have a fake hip and knee so covered a couple of boat cushions in canvas to make it easier to get out of.

Attachments

brazosland

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Make a list of things you think you will use and then cut it in half. Before loading up on cast iron and all the other accoutrements that look cool go to a few events and see what kind of camp you want to have. I like the minimalist approach. Some guys like the full service. Decide which you want and then start shelling out the Benjamins. As far as sleeping I like a coleman cot. A four point wool blanket will cover the legs and sleeping bag if used for a winter camp and theres room for storage under it.
I have a 14x16 foot canvas wall tent that has done Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho and Nebraska more than a few times each. Spent many a blizzardary day feeding the stove and drinking coffee above 9,000 feet. I’ve used the aluminum poles and cut spruce for it too.

I know all about having too much stuff to bring. But I do try to keep things simple and everything has to have at least two jobs.

Looking forward to the smaller wedge and really trying to be somewhat period correct.

brazosland

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Gonna buy the 7’ wide by 9’ long “medium” size from Panther. Two doors.

The small seems a bit small for two and the large way too big. Any thoughts there?

Reaction score
Go with the bigger size for 2 you will appreciate the room and it really is not more difficult to set up. I use a 9 ft long x 9ft. wide by 7 ft. high makes a nice camp for two, if by my self I use a 6ft with the cot across the back and a smaller dining fly also will use a smaller 10ft. wall at times, if running a heavy camp will use the 6 ft. for storage set the 9 ft. put a half set on the fly with the 6 ft. on the other end the storage space is real handy with the wife and all her stuff.

pat i.

32 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
The wedge in my pictures is a 9x9 RK Lodge and I appreciate the extra 2 feet compared to my 7x9 Panther. I like the Panther but also like the extra 2 feet of the RK.

Reactions: smo

nit wit

50 Cal.
Reaction score
2 board chair(packs flat). What is in your tent is your business. Just cover non period correct items. Canvas covers work well on coolers. pine storage boxes double as seats for guests. A candle lantern is a must also.
Nit Wit

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score

So...,
Understand that while the wedge tent, especially the Bell Backed Wedge is accepted in an amazing variety of historic camping events..., it's a design to inexpensively keep the rain off the military privates while weathering quite a storm, and easy for a two man team to erect. It is not the nicest choice for tent, but there are ways to improve the performance.

Git an oversized wedge. Unless you have to use it as part of some historic representation of a military unit, you don't have to "match" your neighbors at an event, and a taller wedge is easier to live in. Gus mentioned something similar above.

You are going to want to also use "storm lines" over the top of the tent. The shape of the tent helps it to weather stormy situations, and the extra lines help the tent to put up with an amazing amount of wind and rain. Also..., be sure the tent has "mud flaps", even though folks will say the lack of mud flaps helps make air flow better in the summer...true....but if you get a pounding rain storm the large rain droplets will cause mud to spatter up inside your tent. Get the flaps.

Wedge with storm lines

WEDGE WITH STORM LINES.png

Consider 5 poles, not three. supporting the ridge pole with a pole from each corner. This maximizes the interior room.
TENT POLES.jpg

Consider a bell backed tent. There is extra room there too. Now some folks well tell you it's either a bell back or a double door, and if you want to raise the side of the tent in summer, you must have a double-door. Not so...,

BELL TENT WITH BACK DOOR.JPG

Now as to bedding, you will probably want a low to the ground cot, and not an air mattress. It's A LOT easier to wipe off the legs of the cot when the rain has gotten in than wiping down the entire underside of the air mattress, when time to go home. A thin, closed cell camping pad will keep you warm in cold weather and the air circulation will help in hot weather. Simply cover the cot with a blanket or sheet of canvas when the doors to the tent are open

Low Camping Cot - 300 lbs. capacity

NOW if you have a tough time getting up from being prone or on your back, then a low cot or air mattress simply will not do, and you will need a tall, double bell tent, and a regular camping cot. ;)

Double bell with "medieval" door (I have one like this) :

DOUBLE BELL TENT.JPG

You mentioned raising the side of the tent in hot weather, so...

Double Bell tent with "French" door...,

When is a disallowed "Baker tent" allowed? When it's a double-wedge tent with a French door! :p

DOUBLE BELL TENT FRENCH DOOR.JPG

OH and in case folks don't think this style of tent is proper..., they were used up into the American Civil War.

Double Bell Tents ACW.png

So I hope this information makes your camping experience in the coming year, a good experience.

LD