• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ideal 490 Double Cavity Mold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ran some 50 cal balls over the past few days. I know from reading Dutch Schoultz's material that double cavity molds can throw balls with differing weights. I was expecting two but ended up with three!

They came out 177 grains plus, 178 plus, and 179 plus with the majority being 178. I know part of the extra weight is the sprue. The lead was sheeting from an X-ray room. I was told that it was pure.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

Walt

P.S.: For better accuracy, I separated and boxed them by weight. That way there won’t be a BIG discrepancy while shooting.

Even single cavity moulds will produce varying weights. Unless you are a very serious paper 'X' hunter, those tiny weight differences are of no consequence. That said, yes, two cavity moulds can produce different results. Personally, I stay with single cavity moulds because they are lighter to handle, heat quicker and more evenly and, I have found, can produce as many balls in a give period of time as the double cavity ones because a good working rhythm is much easier with them.

I also prefer the single cavity molds. I find that I can get more "good" balls in an hour with the single cavity mold than with a multicavity mold. With my single cavity mold I have almost no rejects after the first five that "warm up" the mold.

Back