Idaho

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

4575wcf

40 Cal
Reaction score
How about that return to Zebco. I went creek fishing with my small open face rod and reel early this summer. It was a brushy bugger I had the line and the bale more or less tangled up all day, and I fell in a couple times and put the reel under. When I got home I noticed an old Zebco 404 in the corner on half a pole I had kicking around forever. Got that reel running 50% but too far gone, but by then I knew what I needed, so I laid in the 202, then a 404, then a spare 202 and now the 33lxb. Addictive personality : ).

Mantihunter

32 Cal
Reaction score
Will do. He sent me a picture of a 22 pound rainbow he caught while trolling. He catches a lot of kokes too.

Atticus69

40 Cal
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Taking best bud, and heading off to creek fish Jordan Creek from Idaho border to Silver City on Thursday. Was in there a month ago, mormon crickets were thick, water was running clear and fast. Looked like trout waters to me. Gonna give my new secret weapon, vintage USA Zebco 202 closed face rod and reel the acid (and creek water) test.
Give us a report on how the fishing goes.

relic shooter

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Sounds like your in for some great times !!! Our family has enjoyed many good times prospecting, metal detecting, hunting & fishing in historical Silver City & the Owyhee's. On one memorable trip we forgot our fishing gear so caught our trout dinner with willow branch poles , found baling twine, fresh dug worms & hooks made from pull-tabs. Can overcome just about anything if you pack a leatherman multi-tool :thumb:

4575wcf

40 Cal
Reaction score
Fishing was kind of rough. In the areas where the Mormon crickets were thick the fish were stuffed I think and not biting. We fished more places as we drove back from Silver City and I started connecting in the small active pools behind the rocks. I caught a 6 1/2 incher a 7 1/2 incher and an 8 1/2 incher all rainbows native not clipped. Strangely the biggest fish we saw all day were grouped in a long slackwater area about 30 yards long. We could see them clearly there was two limits of 10 to 12 inchers in there, but they would not bite a thing we tried. Stuffed and resting in slow water I guess. We drove around and stopped here and there to check out old mining junk-armchair historians you know. We saw some great historic country, caught a few fish, had a good time.

4575wcf

40 Cal
Reaction score
Off to Succor Creek Reservoir here pretty soon with the best bud to try out our new used canoe. Good thing the weather is so hot with the two of us old birds in that squirrely canoe. Oh well, we are gonna get us a couple of good life preservers so if we take a dip we can get to shore. Our wives think we slipped a cog, they just might be right. Cannot believe the stuff you can get away with when you start to get old. Gotta give the old 404 Zebco on my longer light tackle rod a try now.

relic shooter

36 Cl.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Off to Succor Creek Reservoir here pretty soon with the best bud to try out our new used canoe. Good thing the weather is so hot with the two of us old birds in that squirrely canoe. Oh well, we are gonna get us a couple of good life preservers so if we take a dip we can get to shore. Our wives think we slipped a cog, they just might be right. Cannot believe the stuff you can get away with when you start to get old. Gotta give the old 404 Zebco on my longer light tackle rod a try now.
Speaking as one 79 year oldie to another we are indeed lucky to have wives who allow us to continue pursuing our bucket list, I was very fortunate to find a keeper who had a similar bucket list that included participating in rendezvous far & wide & gold / relic detecting.
Ref. Succor Creek; About 20 years ago at a prospecting meeting I spoke with a really old guy who's family had a hardscrabble homesteaded in the Succor Creek area. It was kids on a wagon train along that area who picked up pretty rocks that started the gold rush in the Silver City area. He said that pulling cheat grass & panning dirt off the roots were the only way his family had to pay their taxes & buy grub & animal feed through the winters.
If your inclined it might be worthwhile to toss a gold pan in the canoe in case the fishing doesn't pan out.
:ghostly:

4575wcf

40 Cal
Reaction score
There is a lot of active mining going on in Owyhee county at the present time. You gotta be kind of careful whose rock you smack up there these days. I did throw in a rock pick last weekend on the Silver City trip and I was more or less watching the quartz for a minerals deposite all day. I would love to stake a claim but I sure don't want to take heavy equipment in and start tearing stuff up. I think the area suffered enough til the shutdown of 1941.