• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

ID Help on this rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzkat

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Any ideas on maker of this rifle appreciated?

LeviPatchSide.JPG

LeviCheek.JPG

It's the real deal. Been in the hands of a collector for 40 years. Just very well cared for.

suzkat said:
It's the real deal. Been in the hands of a collector for 40 years.
Does the collector know when it was made? In a collection for 40 years means it could have been made in 1970. :wink:

Are there any markings on the barrel or lock? You might be able to run down the possible maker and time frame. It looks pretty interesting.

Gun was purchased from Vaughn Whisker in 1970 by a collector. The gun is pictured in the book Gunsmiths of Western PA Volume 1 by Jim Whisker and attributed to Levi Shreckengost. Wondering if anyone has seen another one similar to it. If you saw the gun up close, there is no question that it is not a repro. Any thoughts on this guns attribution appreciated. Looking for who may have owned it prior to Vaughn.

Have you had the barrel out of the stock? Sometimes there are markings on the underside. Pardon the question if you have already checked.

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you simply unscrew the tang and pull the stock pins or do I need a professional? Where inside might they have marked it?

To remove the barrel you will have to unscrew and remove the tang screw and the rear lock screw that enters the stock from the left side and holds the lock in place.

When you are removing the rear lockscrew, first, back it out about 2 turns.
Loosen the front lockscrew about 2 turns if one exists but you don't have to remove it from the lock.
With the lockscrews loosened, use a plastic or wooden mallet to lightly tap the heads of the screw(s) to loosen the lock.

I can't tell is the barrel is held on by wedges or pins but your question indicates that pins are used.

If this is true you will need a piece of steel that is slightly smaller than the pins.
Although there is no fixed 'rule', remove these pins from the left side of the stock, driving them out the right side of the stock.

Remove the ramrod and place the hammer at full cock and the barrel should lift out without difficulty. If it resists, do not force it. Look for something that may be holding it in place. The first thing to look for is to make sure the rear lock screw is removed from the gun.

The barrel on this gun is 1.25 inches at the lock tapered to 7/8ths at the muzzle. Would this have been designed as a target rifle?

That's possible but usually target guns have heavier barrels or the barrels don't taper quite that much.

Many of the original guns I've seen have surprisingly heavy thick walled barrels by modern standards.

Then again, many of the original guns had very heavy barrels and from their appearance they weren't some pampered target gun. I've often wondered who in their right mind would carry one of these really heavy things afield to hunt with?

Check with the guys on the american long rifle forum. They may be able to help you.

Design-wise your rifle is a bit strange: german silver was not generally available until the 1870s. The "roman-nose" buttstock configuration is more common in the flint lock period. Most half stocks made after the War Between the States were patent breech, particluarly if the barrel is held with two keys. An interesting piece to say the least. Good luck!

Posted the gun on ALR and got no feedback replies.
The gun is shown in Gunsmiths of Western PA Vol 1 by Jim Whisker and attributed to Levi Shreckengost. Gun was owned by Vaughn Whisker prior to the guy I bought it from. Levi built guns from about 1858 to 1863. He was apprentice to his father William Shreckengost. After returning from Andersonville, he was not physically able to make them any longer. Was hoping someone had seen a gun like this one and I got a reply from a person living near where Levi lived and they have seen a local gun very much like it. Thanks for the help. Any more feedback welcome.

In the OP, you ask... "Any ideas on maker of this rifle appreciated?"

Yet you say...

suzkat said:
The gun is shown in Gunsmiths of Western PA Vol 1 by Jim Whisker and attributed to Levi Shreckengost.
Did you already have your answer?

I'm seeking independant confirmation from a knowledgeable individual who might have seen another example of this work with a verifiable history as I would much enjoy the opportunity to
view other guns by this maker. Hope this answers your question and your previous one about it being a replica.

Back