• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

ID damascus double

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had a friend show me an old percussion SxS damascus barreled shotgun today. It is badly rusted. I was able to make some of the proof marks on the barrels. The marks are an F over a LG with a small star below and all inside a small circle. I could barley make out 10.6 with a small looks like a small serpent symbol on the barrels. There was also the numbers 485 stamped into one of the barrels. There were no other markings that I could make out. I know this is like a bigfoot sighting but I dont have any pictures for anyone to look at:) Any old double experts on here venture just a guess at what he has. The locks are highly engraved as well as the tang and steel but plate. The wrist and forend are also heavily checkered.

Your friend has a Belgian shotgun--at least the barrels are Belgian. the F over LG and star in a circle is a Belgian proof-mark. I question the 10.6 number as this should be the bore size in mm. 10.6 would be about .42 cal. (.410 ga) I would think the zero may be a 6 (16ga.) or an 8 (12ga.) The 485 may be (part of) a serial number; if so, it should appear on other parts of the gun. Given the condition I wouldn't shoot it without having it inspected by a competent gunsmith. I'd also check to see if it is loaded.

Yes indeed the right barrel is loaded. First thing I checked. We will pull that for sure. I agree the gun is probably a wall hanger. Its a shame, the locks are very strong as well as trigger function. Wood is is very good condition, no cracking /splitting. I will have to measure the bores. the 10.6 may in fact be 18.6 will have to get out a magnifying glass. Seems most close to a 12ga just by eyeing it. Definitely not .410 ga. Thanks for the info.

Belgium export sxs there must be thousands of them most were 12,16bore with the odd combination of rifle shotgun.
Feltwad

I was perplexed over the stamp you said looked like a snake. Later, it occurred to me that the stamp is probably an inter-twined, cursive E and L--another proof stamp. Also your F is an E.

Back