• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

IAB Sharps Gardone

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd like to know where you got gun powder for $5/lb

My error. It was $20/lb plush shipping plus hazmat. Sorry about that. Here is the corrected breakdown:

Material CostCost/Round
$30/lb powder$0.26cost for powder
$1.36/lb lead$0.10cost per bullet
$/8 12-yd roll linen$0.04cost for linen
$3/1000 paper$0.00cost for paper
$27 for 2.5 lbs lube$0.07cost for lube
$5/lb potassium nitrate$0.01cost for potassium nitrate
$100/1000$0.10percussion cap
$3/gallon waterglass$0.00cost for waterglass
TOTAL:$0.58cost per round

Last edited:
I had an object lesson on how Pyrodex is hard to ignite. It's hard to blame the gun or the cap when the cap burns a clear hole through the base of the cartridge. If you do want/have to use Pyrodex, I found it worked reliably if I primed the nipple with a little powder before putting on the cap. Here is the nipple priming tool I used.

IMG_1275.jpg

Sounds like a lot of muzzleloading enthusiasts are making the switch to breechloaders.
"We're going to get kicked off this great forum."
We can't hide that these rifles are not true muzzle loaders. We are going to get in trouble with this modern stuff. Zonie and other moderators look the other way
You got to love this black powder stuff
I had an object lesson on how Pyrodex is hard to ignite. It's hard to blame the gun or the cap when the cap burns a clear hole through the base of the cartridge. If you do want/have to use Pyrodex, I found it worked reliably if I primed the nipple with a little powder before putting on the cap. Here is the nipple priming tool I used.

View attachment 79801
That works!

I’m a Sharps shooter and have owned and shot percussion as well as metallic cartridge in a quite a few to include originals. Don’t buy an IAB Sharps either percussion or metallic cartridge.
To those that have them and are happy, I’m happy for you.
Now knowing Cowboy to be the type that likes nicer things that will work my advice is get another brand and enjoy a new adventure. Percussion Sharps can be loaded with loose bullets and powder or with a paper cartridge. Makeing the cartridges are simple. Cleaning is simple as well with soapy water then oiling. Accurate shooting can be done if you pay attention to details,same as any gun. You can even load a properly sized round ball from the breech with out a patch!
By the way I haven’t shot a Sharps since yesterday afternoon.
I made the mistake of buying one from a guy who apparently dumped his on me. It shoots fairly well, but the problem I had is the sliding sleeve inside that seals the chamber stopped sliding and in order to open the breech I had to use all sorts of force and it was impossible to close the breech. I had to hammer the damn thing in. It took me forever to get it to where I could close the breech. In the process of doing that I broke the rear sight off and have yet to drill out and replace the screw... Big mistake, lesson learned, do not buy online from people.

I bought an IAB .54 cal Sharpes last year because it was cheap and I always wanted a Sharpes. It is definitely a learning experience. I make my paper cartridges out of adding machine rolled paper and use the kind of tissue paper that is used to fill a bag used for gifts for those that don’t like to wrap presents. I roll the paper around a brass tube turned to the right diameter and form the tissue paper into a cup that fits into the end of the paper tube. I then dump in 40 gr of 3f black powder and use ground corn cob for filler. I then glue the bullet in the tube with a glue stick. Most of the time the paper tube is blown from the barrel or burnt up. If part of it remains in the barrel I just blow it out. Sounds kind of crude by standards but it works and I can get a group of 1 1/2” most of the time at 50 yds. I use musket caps. I fill the block chamber with heavy duty wheel bearing grease and have fired as many as 25 shots without problems with the breach block becoming difficult to operate. Love this rifle and enjoy making cartridges for it.

About 20 years ago I was intrigued by a percussion Sharps, and wanted a 3 band military rifle. Shiloh wasn't making them (military rifles) at the time, too busy making sporting rifles for the BPCRS crowd, so I looked at Pedersoli. There were things that confused me about how they operated with the sliding chamber, hollow breech block and all, so I chickened out. After reading this entire thread, I'm CERTAIN I made the correct choice for me.

NOT a Sharps but still a CBL.. Made in England.. 1861 Cooper's Patent .452" Match Rifle..
Warning !! After a rather nasty bang with a Sharps Repro which fractured in front of the chamber,it was Made our Range Law that ALL CBL'S were to be rodded thru' between shots in case any part of the combustible had not been totally consumed !! It involved serious damage to a left hand. Not what anybody wants. It gives our sport a bad name.. OLD DOG..100_4981.JPG

Latest posts

Back