• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black Hand said:
Obi-Wan Cannoli said:
....anybody who says they treat a gun differently because they know when it's loaded and when it's not is a danger to themselves and everyone around them.
Anyone who doesn't know whether or not their gun is loaded shouldn't use/own guns....

there we have it folks !!!!

I've had the occasional FTF/hangfire (before I learned to dress my vents/harden my frizzens) and still do with BP revolvers.

I pay enough attention to know for a fact whether each trigger pull was productive or not.

I full well understand the "Ten Commandments" of firearm safety (which has been lengthened by some to 21+).....but I also understand that more people have shot themselves (according to hospital records) since the 10C implimentation, than before they existed.

They're a politically correct concession that too many people have chosen to replace common sense with.

I'll stop blowing my bore and swab instead......oops, can't, that would have my hands in front of the muzzle.....
ok, i'll load w/o blowing or swabbing.....OOPS, can't do that, hands in front of the muzzle again....
even if I did decide to "risk it"....i'd look pretty silly trying to load a rifle that's laying flat to avoid a possible sky discharge.....

y'all all DO load your rifles flat to avoid a shot possibly going up into the air and landing who knows where......right??

Black Hand said:
Obi-Wan Cannoli said:
....anybody who says they treat a gun differently because they know when it's loaded and when it's not is a danger to themselves and everyone around them.
Anyone who doesn't know whether or not their gun is loaded shouldn't use/own guns....

I agree with both sentiments. I also will admit to an accidental discharge of a weapon I THOUGHT was empty. Guess I'm a danger.. Oh wait I followed the rule that says don't EVER point a gun at anything you aren't willing to destroy so I wasn't endangering anyone..

IT HAPPENS. to the best of us. I have been handling firearms since I could walk. I was taught from that far back what a firearm can do, and adhere to that teaching.

The point I'm trying to make is simple. Just because we are being responsible and KNOW the weapon we are handling is or is not loaded doesn't mean we should cut corners on safety. Its about habits, habits are only habits if you do it ALL THE TIME gun loaded or not.

Well said.

Also, the "10 Commandments" just convolute and mislead away from an already perfect system. Additions put in by lawyers to defend against lawsuits, some of them could even get you hurt or killed. Just stick to Cooper's original 4, that man knew what he was talking about.

Obi-Wan Cannoli said:
Just stick to Cooper's original 4, that man knew what he was talking about.

Until he lost his mind in 1998 or so and started calling himself "we".

In 1994, Cooper said "Los Angeles and Ho Chi Minh City have declared themselves sister cities. It makes sense: they are both Third World metropolises formerly occupied by Americans."
:rotf: Though it was San Francisco and not Los Angeles. That's Cooper.

Back