• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Loyalist Dave has sited three sources supporting blowing down the muzzle of faired rifle. I think this was intended as a rebuttal to one of my Lessons for Newcomcomers.
Actually it was, possibly unknowingly, a strong support to my surprisingly controversial practice of removing after shot residue with moisture.
I guess I;m just too dainty. I believe removing the crud with a
dampened wiping patch is cosmetically superior to spending an afternoon with your mouth near a sooty muzzle and coming home looking like you have been giving BL__ Jobe in a coal mine.

Dutch Schoultz

Dutch Schoultz said:
I guess I;m just too dainty. I believe removing the crud with a
dampened wiping patch is cosmetically superior to spending an afternoon with your mouth near a sooty muzzle and coming home looking like you have been giving BL__ Jobe in a coal mine.

Dutch Schoultz

Oh my gosh. :shocked2: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

"Just as a point of curiosity, has anyone any evidence, either from the period or from modern day, that a single person has ever 'blown his brains out' while blowing down the barrel in loading?

Spence"

Good point Spence, in my almost 40 years, never heard of an incident.

Loyalist DaveSo lets not split hairs. I provided references to show it was not a) Hollywood nor b) limited to only the ML era said:
LD, are you trying to use logic and historical references to make your point??? How silly.

Between muzzleloading guns and powder horns, we're just carrying around a bunch of pipe bombs just waiting to go off. Make sure you wear rubber gloves so you don't come into contact with lead balls, you might get lead poisoning thru the cells of your fingers. There are probably some carcinogens in the fouling on the patches you just wiped to bore with, MAN!, everything is just so dangerous.

I just hope I'm never on a range with someone who can't figure out if their firearm went off or not.

:doh:

Dutch Schoultz said:
Another fairly fateful gimmick was licking the rifleman's thumb and then wiping this wet thumb on the front sight..

I would like someone to explain the purpose of a wet front sight..

The purpose is IMO not to have a wet front sight, per se...........

I do the same if/when my front sight becomes fouled by shooting Holy Black & accumulating some soot thereon, or from some debris caught there when negotiating brush.

:metoo:

i'd like to know exactly how you propose that i'll blow my brains out with a M/L i've just fired and not yet set down????

if I become so demented that I can't tell when it fires or misfires......i'll quit shooting

I had the "10 commandments" posted in my shop as a wall decoration but this entire terror of firearms obsession has gone overboard

anyone that terrified of a gun......probably would be best off with a stun gun instead

Rifleman1776 said:
That is why I swab with a damp patch between every shot, even when hunting. But, there are those who seem to believe there is a special spot in heaven for those who shoot long strings without swabbing at all. :doh: And they walk among us. :shocked2:
I've never swabbed between shots - found it completely unnecessary, as I developed a ball/patch/lube combination that doesn't foul quickly. As to the implication that all who don't swab between shots are idiots - :bull: :bull: :bull: :bull: :bull:

There are a lot of probably unnecessary things we do for the safe of safety.
If you have ever aced yourself
"what the hell was I thinking"
Then those safety [ractices are for you.
The biggest safety issue for me was visiting with someone on the firing line at the range.
If have never 'Dry Balled"your rifle you are probably not in need of some ridiculous safety practices.

Good luck however

Dutch Schoultz

Dutch Schoultz said:
There are a lot of probably unnecessary things we do for the safe of safety.
If it is deemed unnecessary, then it has no impact on what we are doing and wastes time. It's just a form of Magical Thinking...

I will tell you what to do. Shoot all day, then come home and clean your gun. Water in the bore, swab and swab till clean, dry, then oil. Take a cleaning patch, dip in your favorite oil, put it on a jag, and run it 2/3 of the way down your bore. Unscrew the jag. Then blow down the bore.
If you can blow past an oiled tight fitting patch then you don’t have to worry about a little thing like a gun going off in your mouth. You can catch any bullet in your mouth and spit it at a deer.
How much gas blows by a patch when you shoot your gun. Not enough to burn the patch. And that’s thousands of pounds of pressure per sq inch.
So... you shoot your gun and it didn’t go off, and you didn’t notice your gun not going off.
And there is an ember all most out just off the powder. You blow down the bore, sealed by a tighter fit then jag/patch fit, and compressed powder and you manage to blow that ember alive? :bull:
We have heard thestories but always third hand,like the Irish song
Sure you had to see it to believe
And I wouldn’t believe a fellow like me if I was you
Sure I wasn’t there
I’m sure I have an alibi
But I heard it from a fellow
Who has a friend who swears it’s all true.

if you really think it out ,theres no danger ( I, ll go hide in my bunker now ) :haha:

I know of one incident.

Couple was shooting at a public range. Woman had a misfire and handed the rifle to hubby. Hubby was in the practice of reloading for her. He attempted to blow into the barrel, thinking she had just shot, and the hang-fire took. Killed him.

That was around 1985 +/- as I recall.

In general, it's unnecessary, will get you kicked out of some ranges, is poor firearm handling ("Don't point a gun at anything you don't intend to shoot"), and probably Freud would have something to say about repressed paternal sexual frustrations.

Did you see this incedent? Because I can’t find any evidence of it. Wife is the different part then most of the stories I’ve heard. Often it’s son or daughter, some times mother and in one instance a class of elementary students on a field trip.
What sort of lungs did this old boy have that he could blow air around a patched ball. I haven’t ever heard a version of a guy guy shooting a minie or maxi.

I dont do it myself,but if you dont know if the gun went off your out of touch with reality, and I never blow to see if I loaded or not,I dont blow down ayone elses gun and if asked to check I use the rod. I dont think it softens the fouling and there realy is no need to do it,If there ever was a spark in there you would know it the second you dumped powder in,youd never get a chance to to patch and ram a ball down.Ive only heard of one account of a cook off from a reliable source and that was Mike Nesbitt at muzzleloader magazine. a hangfire is a different animal,on the range there are too many distractions but in the woods your way more focused and see no problem there.

Loyalist Dave said:
So let me ask you this..., you must never have inspected the bore on a muzzleloader without a bore camera or some sort of mirror contraption? If not, have you told the same thing as the above to anybody else that you've seen inspecting the bore on a muzzleloader, without a camera or some sort of mirror contraption?

I don't look down muzzles, all of the information and maintenance I need comes from the rod or common sense.

People have been shooting themselves for hundreds of years, anybody who says they treat a gun differently because they know when it's loaded and when it's not is a danger to themselves and everyone around them.

Obi-Wan Cannoli said:
....anybody who says they treat a gun differently because they know when it's loaded and when it's not is a danger to themselves and everyone around them.
Anyone who doesn't know whether or not their gun is loaded shouldn't use/own guns....

Black Hand said:
Obi-Wan Cannoli said:
....anybody who says they treat a gun differently because they know when it's loaded and when it's not is a danger to themselves and everyone around them.
Anyone who doesn't know whether or not their gun is loaded shouldn't use/own guns....

I agree with you there! :thumbsup:

I got to say your comparing apples and oranges here. Putting a gun I just fired and clearing the vent with a blow of air is not comparable to taking an unknown gun, or some one else’s gun and randomly blowing down the barrel.
We play a game where danger is hiding all around us. Our guns lack modren safeties, not ramming the ball home can blow a gun, me have a pipe bomb on our sides, just to mention a few.
I’ve seen misused ramrods break and tear up hands, I’ve seen people get bad cuts cutting patches at the muzzle. I’ve seen guns go off in an unsafe direction with a guy knapping a dull flint.
We have dangers in our sport, blowing down a bore as part of your reloading ritual ain’t one of them.

Latest posts

Back