• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I would like to identify this sight on my T/C Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dizzymman

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi I'm curious what anybody has to say about this rear sight on my T/C 50cal.Hawken. Haven't had it very long. Seems to be for distances not close range, shoots high in the 25to50 yard range.

Is it a normal rear sight for this gun? (I haven't seen this sight before) Front sight seems to be the normal blade with round top that's on other hawkens. Thanks
20201123_140809.jpg
20201123_140817.jpg

It is a TC primitive sight for people that want/need a fixed sight for their gun. No longer made or marketed. The screw holes were elongated to use factory sight holes on their various octagon barreled models.

It is usually used with the patridge type blade sight as found on the Renegade.

Last edited:
It looks like an Express Sight used on a centerfire Dangerous Game Rifle. Many DGR's have half octagon half round barrel. NECG inc. comes to mind as to possible manufacture.

They usually are filed by the owner with a shallow V for the owner's desired load for elevation....

Or not.

I put one on my TC many years ago and filed it down to correct point of aim for my gun and load. I liked it a lot. I also changed out the front sight to match. TC sold both a front and rear. They gave a Patridge style sight picture. I think I had to take it down about 1/16" to get it correct for my gun. Yours will probably be different. Develop your most accurate load or the load you intend to use and for the distance you are shooting, then file the sight down to match your sight picture and distance.

1E162AD9-7378-4BCD-BC9C-78D86A3BBFBA.jpeg

You will notice I never cut off the extra on the sight edges when I filed down the sight. At the time I liked how it centered my eye, and I still do. The sight gave a close the center shot at 100 yards with a 80 grain FFG load. I haven't shot it much for a number of years but it was my second kit rifle put together in the mid 1970s. I still love this rifle even though I have a number of others. It will go to one of my grandsons.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back