• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I was gifted a treasure trove of ML rifles and accessories awhile back.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was gifted a treasure trove of ML rifles and accessories awhile back. I already owned a big box store unmentionable rifle package so I could participate in ML hunting season. I used it and was successful with it but stopped after a few years. I just used a bow after that but always wanted to get a Hawken type rifle. I was fortunate to meet a wise gentleman one day because I slid on the ice and hit his vehicle with mine, minimal damage. We talked for a bit and found we had much in common. Both veterans, avid hunters, fishermen, except he was a former moonshiner; but due to age had retired from much of it. We departed after exchanging information and both with a new friend. He called a few days later with the estimate for repairs. I drove over immediately and paid him in cash. I asked if he was going to get it fixed and he just laughed and said, No and thanks for the drinking money. I laughed also as I assumed that already. I was invited in for coffee and we talked for several hours discussing all sorts of topics. He showed me his guns and had many well used and well cared for weapons. His ML collection was impressive. He had several “original” rifles from the early 1800s or earlier that were family heirlooms. At the time I knew nothing about ML, modern (with the above exception) or antique but I knew they were old. He did have many modern reproductions in his collection. As time went on our friendship grew. I would help him with chores and projects he was unable to do and would bring him wild game and fish for his freezer. I gave him rides to the grocery store, gun shows and later to doctor appointments. His kids/family were mostly out of the picture except for his grandson that was in the Army. I met him a few times because he always came to visit while on leave. As time went on his health faded with age and he passed away. The absentee family members were talking at the wake about the division of property and who wanted what. I paid my respects and was about to depart when the grandson approached me. We talked about his grandfather and he thanked me for all that I had done and that he was lucky to have a friend like me. I told him that I was the lucky one as I’m a better person for having slid on the ice. We both laughed. He then told me that when he heard of his passing he called a neighbor that was a locksmith and had all the locks in his grandfather’s house changed to stop the family vultures and that he was the executor of the estate. He asked me to meet him at the house after the funeral as he had something for me. When I arrived, we sat and reminisced about the “Old Man” and that his grandfather told him to give me some items. He showed me a handwritten list that was given to him.

Morris Reynolds
WWII veteran
Avid outdoorsman
Moonshiner
And My Friend
RIP “MO”

Below is the list
Cabela’s
.58cal Hawken Left and Right hand models
.54cal Hawken with checkered stock
.50cal Hawken
Thompson Center
.45cal Seneca and Cherokee
New Englander 12ga single shot shotgun with the non-choke barrel
Traditions
.32cal Crockett
.36cal rifle don’t know the model and can’t find any, but the stock is about the size of a TC Seneca but the forearm is a lot shorter. And it also came with a drop in .50 barrel. Both are drilled and tapped for a scope.
Investarms spare barrels
.45 carbine length
.50 rifle length smooth bore
.54 rifle length smooth bore
Hawken stock

And a mountain of cleaning supplies, lead balls, conicals, and accouterments.
Now I need to research, learn, and practice.
Now thats a great story.....

In today's world when you hit someone else's car, you half expect to have them fly into road rage! Just goes to show what some initial understanding and kindness on both sides can turn into. A beautiful and heartwarming story. God bless Mo's soul and may you enjoy many long hours utilizing and taking care of his cherished gifts.

I was gifted a treasure trove of ML rifles and accessories awhile back. I already owned a big box store unmentionable rifle package so I could participate in ML hunting season. I used it and was successful with it but stopped after a few years. I just used a bow after that but always wanted to get a Hawken type rifle. I was fortunate to meet a wise gentleman one day because I slid on the ice and hit his vehicle with mine, minimal damage. We talked for a bit and found we had much in common. Both veterans, avid hunters, fishermen, except he was a former moonshiner; but due to age had retired from much of it. We departed after exchanging information and both with a new friend. He called a few days later with the estimate for repairs. I drove over immediately and paid him in cash. I asked if he was going to get it fixed and he just laughed and said, No and thanks for the drinking money. I laughed also as I assumed that already. I was invited in for coffee and we talked for several hours discussing all sorts of topics. He showed me his guns and had many well used and well cared for weapons. His ML collection was impressive. He had several “original” rifles from the early 1800s or earlier that were family heirlooms. At the time I knew nothing about ML, modern (with the above exception) or antique but I knew they were old. He did have many modern reproductions in his collection. As time went on our friendship grew. I would help him with chores and projects he was unable to do and would bring him wild game and fish for his freezer. I gave him rides to the grocery store, gun shows and later to doctor appointments. His kids/family were mostly out of the picture except for his grandson that was in the Army. I met him a few times because he always came to visit while on leave. As time went on his health faded with age and he passed away. The absentee family members were talking at the wake about the division of property and who wanted what. I paid my respects and was about to depart when the grandson approached me. We talked about his grandfather and he thanked me for all that I had done and that he was lucky to have a friend like me. I told him that I was the lucky one as I’m a better person for having slid on the ice. We both laughed. He then told me that when he heard of his passing he called a neighbor that was a locksmith and had all the locks in his grandfather’s house changed to stop the family vultures and that he was the executor of the estate. He asked me to meet him at the house after the funeral as he had something for me. When I arrived, we sat and reminisced about the “Old Man” and that his grandfather told him to give me some items. He showed me a handwritten list that was given to him.

Morris Reynolds
WWII veteran
Avid outdoorsman
Moonshiner
And My Friend
RIP “MO”

Below is the list
Cabela’s
.50cal Hawken
Thompson Center
Traditions
.32cal Crockett
.36cal rifle don’t know the model and can’t find any, but the stock is about the size of a TC Seneca but the forearm is a lot shorter. And it also came with a drop in .50 barrel. Both are drilled and tapped for a scope.
Investarms spare barrels
.45 carbine length
Hawken stock

Some times you meet great people in strange wats but you are forever blessed by knowing them and having them as true friends. You are a very lucky man to have such a great friendship and I am sure he felt the same. God Bless

Thank you for your story. Welcome to the Dark Side (B P). Let it be known, the adage about no good deed... isn't always right.
From your story, it seems clear that you valued your friendship more than your inheritance. Hopefully.\, he infused you with his passion and a bit of his knowledge. Expand on it and find someone younger to interest in it.

I wish I knew someone like you to share my fascination with these old bits of functional art. Unfortunately, my son has fond memories of when I introduced him to shooting BP,but has no real interest & my sister has none. It's frustrating but I've swum upstream my whole life. There's time yet.

Wonderful story. While the gift that was left to you is very nice, the real prize is having had a friend for as long as you did. I became friends with someone a few years back. He was a jukebox dealer. Great guy, very gregarious. He passed recently very unexpectedly. I miss his friendship, as I suspect that you miss your friend's friendship. Do with your gifts what you will, but I suggest that if you decide to part with them, keep one as a reminder.

Morris Reynolds
WWII veteran
Avid outdoorsman
Moonshiner
And My Friend
RIP “MO”

Below is the list
Cabela’s
.50cal Hawken
Thompson Center
Traditions
.32cal Crockett
Investarms spare barrels
.45 carbine length
Hawken stock

I can tell you that the .36 with the drop in .50 barrel is a Traditions Frontier Gander. It is the first kit I put together way back. Very handy little rifle, I can show a beginer how to shoot with the .36 and then the .50 on the same rifle. It's also good for squirrels and such.

Morris Reynolds
WWII veteran
Avid outdoorsman
Moonshiner
And My Friend
RIP “MO”

Below is the list
Cabela’s
.50cal Hawken
Thompson Center
Traditions
.32cal Crockett
Investarms spare barrels
.45 carbine length
Hawken stock

Very touching.Congratulations on having had the opportunity to have shared yourself with and enjoyed the company of one of the "greatest generation". I also had the good luck to have had a WW2 Navy vet as my best friend. He and his wife never had children and considered my as the son they never had. He's been gone 15 years and not a day goes by that I don't think of him sometime during the day. What I got from him in the way of mentoring, advice, companionship and affection can't be measured in earthly goods. I'm sure that you understand.

Welcome to the brotherhood of blackpowder. You are well equipped to get started.
This would be the only acceptable way to shortcut the line to a good gun collection. You should feel blessed. Take care of them and most of all, use them! That's why he left them to you. He knew you'd use them and get the same satisfaction he did out of them. Not because you were the only person left in his life. Good luck. Every time you fire one, say thank you!

I can just imagine that the guns were well taken care of, keep it up. I sometimes think about who I should leave my MLs to and frankly I can't come up with an answer yet. I got plenty of nephews (and even a grandson)who are enthusiastic about firearms but frankly I feel most of them would see MLs are "just too much trouble". Have fun, shoot them, and put 'um away, clean 'um later. So they turn to rust, am I being too negative or pessimistic?
Not negative or pessimistic. Realistic. My will is full of decisions for the division of property based on the items being appreciated and cared for as I did. Good luck in your search

I can tell you that the .36 with the drop in .50 barrel is a Traditions Frontier Gander. It is the first kit I put together way back. Very handy little rifle, I can show a beginer how to shoot with the .36 and then the .50 on the same rifle. It's also good for squirrels and such.
Thanks for the info. I was stumped in my research. Best to you

Morris Reynolds
WWII veteran
Avid outdoorsman
Moonshiner
And My Friend
RIP “MO”

Below is the list
Cabela’s
.50cal Hawken
Thompson Center
Traditions
.32cal Crockett
Investarms spare barrels
.45 carbine length
Hawken stock

Apparently an accident that was meant to be!!!

Back