• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I want to build an underhammer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I recently retired from farming. Now I should have some time to jump in and get started building one. I have the tools to do it but haven't tried a firearm yet. Any tips or suggestions.
I would like to forge the trigger and any other fittings. I could even turn the nipples on my lathe.
I'd like to keep it simple to start. Maybe a small pistol and work my way up.
Thanks in advance.
I Have plenty of steel. About 10,000 lbs. from 1040 to 1095, W2, A2, M2, D2, and some 1095 cable. Plenty of wood too.
Wonder what a cable Damascus barrel would look like with a walnut or cherry handle?

Any direction is appreciated.

I believe there is a book on under hammers, give me some time to try to find it.

Under hammer is about the easiest to make.

Early American Under Hammer Firearms by Nicholas L. Chandler, Hardbound, 192 pages with 354 clear photos.

Log Cabin has it, not cheap though, $59.99

Last edited:
I have an off hand/ bench gun in .45 cal that is an underhammer ignition. Underhammers are probably the most reliable and fast cap lock ignition available. The cap brisance goes directly into the main charge with as nearly a short , straight line of travel as a flint vent. Mine is much more friendly to shoot with the cap flash diverter I made for it which directs the cap flash away from the shooters wrist.

IMG_1882.JPG
IMG_1882.JPG
IMG_1883.JPG
IMG_1884.JPG

Under hammers aside Did you go by' Gipsy Mad Blade' at Pensic SCA events ?. I only did one with Smoke & Fire News But was impressed by your set up . Hershall Logan's book ' Underhammer Guns is a good reference .
Regards Rudyard

The long necked nipple thread is what secures the flash guard to the barrel. The upper side of the guard is contoured to match the bottom three flats of the barrel which keeps it from twisting. It's a very solid and effective arrangement that will allow one to shoot in short sleeves with no flash burn from the cap.

The long necked nipple thread is what secures the flash guard to the barrel. The upper side of the guard is contoured to match the bottom three flats of the barrel which keeps it from twisting. It's a very solid and effective arrangement that will allow one to shoot in short sleeves with no flash burn from the cap.

Thanks. I'll put it to use.

OK here is the basics of a Hilliard, not much simpler than this!
There is a book on underhammers, by Jeff Baron.. simple but all you'd need to know to build one.

The other pic is my Rifle..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan

Attachments

• Underhammer.jpg
    Underhammer.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 137
  • DS UH1.jpg
    DS UH1.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 145
OK here is the basics of a Hilliard, not much simpler than this!
There is a book on underhammers, by Jeff Baron.. simple but all you'd need to know to build one.

The other pic is my Rifle..

Respect Always
Metalshaper/Jonathan
Just ordered the book. Thanks

Just found your reply , just coincidence then. Ile look out for Logans book I have my own copy and finished up several UH pistols . Regards Rudyard

In Ned Roberts book on the percussion rifle he illustrates and describes an underhammer rifle called the "Gorning underhammer" because it was built by a gentleman named Gorning for his own use in competition. It's unique and defies the typical appearance of an underhammer. I'll see if I can find a picture of it.

found it and also converted a portion of the article to a graphic. Not sure how these will show up but, here goes. . . . . . .

gorning underhammer resized.jpg

description resized.jpg

Latest posts

Back