• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I use a Dremel Tool.......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think the advice against using a Dremel has anything to do with being a purist, or snobbery. It is advice to someone less experienced that doesn't realize how easy it is to make a mistake with a Dremel and turn a nice rifle stock or other part into scrap! They certainly have their uses but a beginner is probably better off not using one.

I am afraid I give up being a purist years ago. I use any modern convenience I can afford. I truly believe the old timers would have used any available means to speed up their work. I have went through many Dremel and freedom machines.

I’ve used one for years, couldn’t get by without one. My hands are just getting too arthritic for doing everything by hand. You must be careful though, as others have said. I used mine just last night, as a cut off tool, and to polish. I too have the router attachment, and the small flex attachment, and the mini drill press.

I’ve used one for years, couldn’t get by without one. My hands are just getting too arthritic for doing everything by hand. You must be careful though, as others have said. I used mine just last night, as a cut off tool, and to polish. I too have the router attachment, and the small flex attachment, and the mini drill press.
Would you recommend the mini drill press?

It is not a heavy duty tool, but I have used it to drill small holes in round objects, and get a good center drill on the ball that way. Also, my newer cordless Dremel fits in it, as well as my old heavily used corded one. The other thing I have used it for is on my bench mounted drill press, I have used the small Dremel press to center drill a long rod, that was too long for my bench drill press. By rotating the bench presses table to the side and threading the drill rod up through the bench press table center hole, with the Dremel press mounted to the drill press table.
Also, it did come in handy one time our power was out. I used it and the cordless Dremel to drill the last few holes on a project I was working on.
Drilling by flashlight and candles. Luckily I have magnetic LED battery powered lights on the drill press.

At the very beginning of my NM Armorer career, I was trained to use a Dumore Handy Grinder, which is an Industrial Version of a Dremel Tool on Steriods. We joked it was a hand held milling machine.
https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/...m_term=4582627028881737&utm_content=Catch All

I do use it for taking out some wood in lock mortises when necessary, but more often use it with sanding cartridge rolls for wood removal and Kratex abrasive points for metal polishing. Great Tool, but not one to be taken lightly at all.

Gus

Who has 15 to 20 bucks EACH for those "correct, period" files, chisels, and gouges?!?!?! Go to flea markets and junk shops in the mountains you may happen on a rusty cheap antique chisel that can be restored. Great Grunion! I used to go into bankruptcy 20 years ago paying 300 for a musket or rifle kit!!!! Now with the European Union, and the Euro, black powder shooting is more expensive than modern guns! $700 for a kit GUN? Another $500 for a correct 19th century tool kit? Next they will want you to use cloth or leather pads with pumice or ashes to sand and smooth your stock! Use a DREMEL or any power tool, and the HECK with the naysayer PURISTS!

Who has 15 to 20 bucks EACH for those "correct, period" files, chisels, and gouges?!?!?! Go to flea markets and junk shops in the mountains you may happen on a rusty cheap antique chisel that can be restored. Great Grunion! I used to go into bankruptcy 20 years ago paying 300 for a musket or rifle kit!!!! Now with the European Union, and the Euro, black powder shooting is more expensive than modern guns! $700 for a kit GUN? Another $500 for a correct 19th century tool kit? Next they will want you to use cloth or leather pads with pumice or ashes to sand and smooth your stock! Use a DREMEL or any power tool, and the HECK with the naysayer PURISTS!
Get a grip man!:eek:

Oh I understand that rant well. Bill Raby has done some great vids on ml building.
He does own a milling machine, drill press, big rack of every sized chisels and gouges of the best sort.
I would love to have a year or two in his shop. I don’t have the place to put his shop, and I couldn’t justify the purchase for the building I do.
So I have a sheet of canvas on the floor and limited tools, a dremol drill press, el cheepo carving knifes that barely make it through one build. So added to the cost of parts I add fifty dollars for some cheep tools. I could bought good tools over the years for what I’ve spent on cheapies, but the handful of guns I’ve built in forty years hasn’t justified it.

There I've said it.......I'm sure some purist builders are cringing right now, however I don't care. I live in the 21st century and am going to use 21st century technology to build my 18th century guns. Ha......Besides, Mr. Dremel makes it so easy to gouge out the lock mortice areas for the bridle, springs etc.....

Well, it is not necessary to use any power tools as shown by thousands of antique guns. On the other hand, power tools can save a great deal of time & labor. I tend to look at the results that a builder has achieved rather than worry about which tools he chose to use for any given task. Architecture, inletting & carving are either good or bad no matter what tools were used.

And this is why the "purist" gunsmiths are staying away from message boards like this...
How pure are the purist? Hand forging barrels, rifeling with wood horses, only working under natural light? There are ol’boys that do that. How about inletting your modren steel barrel with just hand tools and under electric light.o_O We all breakdown somewhere. Is it pure to drill with an electric drill motor? Hmm

Hi Sidney,
The Dremel with 3-M bristle burrs was very useful polishing up this lock and hardware before charcoal bluing.
LHAsbDl.jpg

HDDxM8F.jpg

L1ESb8b.jpg

dave

Dave, did you build that gun? It is a work of art.......I can only dream about having the kind of talent it takes to build such a thing of beauty.

Hi Sidney,
Yes, I built it. it is a late flint English rifle. I will post photos soon. I still have to finish the checkering on the wrist.

dave

My grandad told me years ago a builder he knew used a foot treadle dental drill and custom attachments the way we use a dremel...
A good tool is a good tool.

How pure are the purist? Hand forging barrels, rifeling with wood horses, only working under natural light? There are ol’boys that do that. How about inletting your modren steel barrel with just hand tools and under electric light.o_O We all breakdown somewhere. Is it pure to drill with an electric drill motor? Hmm
We don't have to go there again do we?

Latest posts

Back