• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I Think This Is A Belgian 1842 Musket?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked this up at an antique show last year. I think it's a Belgian 1842 Civil War Musket, but the Bayonet lug and barrel length are confusing me. I know the stock was shortened many a moons ago. Thoughts on this? It is .75 caliber smooth bore

IMG_0034.JPG
IMG_0035.JPG
IMG_0040.JPG
IMG_0052.JPG

Mule. I think you are close. I am not familiar with any muskets taking a sabre bayonet. I' thinking .69-71 rifle bored smooth for any of several reasons. Bbl length usually in the neighborhood of 33" Yes the wood has been cut and missing both front and middle band, Jaeger

Mule, I won,t argue that point. I have a small volume by DW Baily buryied in the catacombs that may well say the same thing. Also an old Sears catalog 1902ish showing several bored out muskets. Neither to be found now. If the rear site was simply soldered on it would be a small matter to remove this solder as a rear sight was not only not needed, it might be an incumberance to the wing shooter..I also have an old Alfa catalog also buryed. My prime suspects would be Alfa or Bannerman. Probobly all I can add. Jaeger

Back