I talked extensively with a man who twice traveled the Oregon trail

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Brokenbear

36 Cl.
Reaction score
You know ..If folks don't share and pass on their history ..it is for sure lost forever ..It dawns on me that I might ought to share..
My mothers Grandfather ..my great grandfather ..lived to be 104 years old ..he died in 1958 when I was 12 years old ..he was bed ridden the last 2 years of his life and lived with my Granny ..
We visited my Granny quite regularly and also spent time with great grandfather Yost in those many visits ...
So GGY was born in the late 1840's growing up in the southern part of Missouri up until his mid teens ..
He was a somewhat sickly young man with respiratory problems ..the family was told his time was short unless he moved west ..
He was the youngest of a bunch of kids and the family was too entrenched to pick up and move for the sake of one child ..
So my great great grandfather corresponded with and "agent" in Independence Missouri and arranged for GGY to travel to Oregon ..because of his youth he was under the wing of the train leader and for reduced payment he "worked" for the train leader ..firewood, stock feeding, harnessing ..all the things a 15 year old farm boy was expected to know and do as well as learn some new stuff also for sure...
So GGY's father hooked up a wagon and team and took his youngest son to Independence Missouri with the requirement that they be there by mid March so great grandpa Yost could help with the organization of the train that was expecting to push off as early as the first week of April
Out of all the things that stuck in my young mind the one item that did not was the exact year of the great adventure I either never heard it or did not retain it ..BUT his age (15) at departure and birth of 1847 says 1862 but I know he was already away from Missouri before the Civil War ..
Now the things that were so interesting were the small un-thought of things that were a way of life/survival on the trail
Like the whole train having to stop at water ever so often to soak the wheels to keep the tires (steel hoop encircling the wood wheel) from running off the wheel due to wood shrinkage in dry high plains and semi arid areas.
Like the train voted to add 1/2 day to the journey to do a slight detour to a known wild onion field (the train master would not divide his strength by sending only a small part to harvest the onion)
Like days were added and subtracted to find grazing, wood, Indian avoidance, game and mass illness but no delays or route changes for individual calamities

Just thought some might enjoy the real deal

Bear

Reaction score
You know ..If folks don't share and pass on their history ..it is for sure lost forever ..It dawns on me that I might ought to share..
My mothers Grandfather ..my great grandfather ..lived to be 104 years old ..he died in 1958 when I was 12 years old ..he was bed ridden the last 2 years of his life and lived with my Granny ..
We visited my Granny quite regularly and also spent time with great grandfather Yost in those many visits ...
So GGY was born in the late 1840's growing up in the southern part of Missouri up until his mid teens ..
He was a somewhat sickly young man with respiratory problems ..the family was told his time was short unless he moved west ..
He was the youngest of a bunch of kids and the family was too entrenched to pick up and move for the sake of one child ..
So my great great grandfather corresponded with and "agent" in Independence Missouri and arranged for GGY to travel to Oregon ..because of his youth he was under the wing of the train leader and for reduced payment he "worked" for the train leader ..firewood, stock feeding, harnessing ..all the things a 15 year old farm boy was expected to know and do as well as learn some new stuff also for sure...
So GGY's father hooked up a wagon and team and took his youngest son to Independence Missouri with the requirement that they be there by mid March so great grandpa Yost could help with the organization of the train that was expecting to push off as early as the first week of April
Out of all the things that stuck in my young mind the one item that did not was the exact year of the great adventure I either never heard it or did not retain it ..BUT his age (15) at departure and birth of 1847 says 1862 but I know he was already away from Missouri before the Civil War ..
Now the things that were so interesting were the small un-thought of things that were a way of life/survival on the trail
Like the whole train having to stop at water ever so often to soak the wheels to keep the tires (steel hoop encircling the wood wheel) from running off the wheel due to wood shrinkage in dry high plains and semi arid areas.
Like the train voted to add 1/2 day to the journey to do a slight detour to a known wild onion field (the train master would not divide his strength by sending only a small part to harvest the onion)
Like days were added and subtracted to find grazing, wood, Indian avoidance, game and mass illness but no delays or route changes for individual calamities

Just thought some might enjoy the real deal

Bear
Bear, You are amazing. That tiny slice of your history and ours is just what I needed today. Boy, the things that they needed to do and think about constantly are things that most of us NEVER even think of today.
John

Notchy Bob

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Great post, @Brokenbear ! Thanks for posting!

I would encourage you to copy and paste your post into a MS Word document and print it. Re-read it and think about it. As more memories come back, pencil them in on the page, and add them in later when you are at your keyboard. Pretty soon, you'll have something to publish! What's more important is that those memories will be preserved.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

Latest posts