• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I should never be allowed around tools

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GAHUNTER60

40 Cal
Reaction score
ANY tools!

1617065527553.png

I had tapped the pin in and thought it was in the channel deep enough to allow me to go ahead and tap it on down. I thought wrong!

The dang thing canted and levered this chip loose. It did not come completely out (just hanging on). I tried to burnish it down, but it won't budge.

What's the easy fix!

The nice thing with wood is if you can match the stain, even a tiny chip ends up looking OK. But as long as you have the sliver - you should be able to glue it back in place. I'm hardly the guy to give advice on such matters though.

Get that pin out of there and bevel the edges some, that will go along way in preventing this.

Glue the chip back in place, and don't be so hard on yourself.
Yup... use a dab of super glue, wipe the excess from the edges and get a small harbor freight clamp and clamp it together for an hour or so. I second the idea of chamfering the edges.. doing so the edges of the pin won’t catch the edge of the hole on its way out.

That's why they make super glue. I'd lift up the chip with something like a sharp xacto blade and put a little super glue in the crack and hold it down until the glue sets. As Mulebrain says, put a bevel on that pin. It's not the mistakes a man makes that count, it's how well he hides them.

That thought just popped into my head. Maybe that'll be my slogan from now on!

As far as removing that particular pin, I can't imagine that I'll ever remove that pipette again unless it's for some major stock repair. It was only out because I was staining and and oiling the unfinished wood on a new rifle. I will, however file a bevel on the four pins that hold the barrel to the stock. Those might come out several times a year.

ANY tools!
I’v seen sicker cats than this get well. Dab of Tightbond II or III. Put a small object on it and wrap a stout rubber band on it and you are good. I would also taper the ends of the pins. I use copper washed welding rod for pins, less sticking issues than plain steel.
View attachment 70896

I had tapped the pin in and thought it was in the channel deep enough to allow me to go ahead and tap it on down. I thought wrong!

The dang thing canted and levered this chip loose. It did not come completely out (just hanging on). I tried to burnish it down, but it won't budge.

What's the easy fix!

Those that said it are right about lifting the chip out somewhat so glue can get in there.

What you want is the capillary action of the glue running under the chip, but you can't get the glue bottle tip in there, right? Simple solution. Put a drop or so of the thin (not the gap filling kind) ACC cement on your workbench. Then dap the head of a pin in it so the glue bonds to it. Lift your chip and touch the pin head to the bare wood under it. The capillary action will wick it off the pin head and on to the bare wood.

Repeat if you think it necessary.
Wipe off any squeeze out.
Clamp.
Wait.
You're done.

ANY tools!

View attachment 70896

What's the easy fix!
You think that's bad? I just drilled a pin hole too high, luckily only half way through so I have to try and hide that. In this case I should have measured four times and drilled once.......... Feces occurs..........

Gobs of this stuff use to come in the shop, some of the customers were almost at the point of crying. All we had was elmers glue and saw dust, but now all kinds of remedies are available. Just goes to show how much of a problem this is.

A lot of it depends on where you live. If you're hunting the beaches in Southeast Alaska out of a skiff and taking on salt spray and it rains 120" or more in a year it's wise to check out every part of the gun often. If you're in the desert there's probably no need to worry. I've done both and can speak from experience.

Back