• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I shot the big barr just not with my smoke pole

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya need to try dog huntin wholedifferent game! Nothin like puttin your hands on big hog n gettin him down and tying him up or if cold enough slipping a knife into his heart. The chase till they bay is always a adventure!, you never know where you will end up!! Down se tx most of guys bay n catch up here all the old deer dog hunters converted to hogs when deer with dogs was banned n we shoot most up here either running in front of the dogs or going in when he is bayed up, this method uses just bay dogs with no catch dogs. We use curs hounds little bit of everything, got 1 guy we hunt with uses Irish wolfhounds n another has jagd terriers. We usually load them n buggy or truck and ride till strike dog gets a good whiff then turn them lose. We use dogs that are silent on trail that way when you hear them you know they on meat. Whole mother game n a ton of fun just like huntin squirrels with dogs is. Good dogs ain’t cheap n run the risk of getting killed every cast on hogs. I prefer dogs n still hunting down the creeks which they use as highways these days, I will sit a stand n bowhunt, I’ve got a 11,000 acre block that I ride around n spot n stalk, sucker got 50 miles of rd n we have cut most of it n put it back n long leaf n burn it every year n you can see them out n about n put a stalk on them also trap snare n use night vision n thermal kill them every way we can
I may do that Mike, those jagd are some wicked little dogs, I know a lot of hog doggers that would allow me to join them

My grandpa raised trophy winning Plott hounds, he was a diehard coon hunter.

We would go hunting 3-5 nights a week, g'pa liked to hunt the river, dad preferred casting a Plott gripe named Brazos River Honey on the dirt road and let her strike. She had a hot nose and when she struck the race was on.

Her father, Brazos River Warrior, was a beast weighing almost 80lbs, and was an awesome kill dog.

I traded for a flop-eared Redbone pup and he made a great coon dog.

Dad suffered a stroke in 97, his hunting days with hounds was over.

I have a friend who hunts hogs with dogs, he's invited me but i haven't gone.

Most catch dogs are pit bulls they are trained to get the hog on the ground. Either by the ears snout or any price of flesh they can.

Over here we use Bull Arabs, another bully breed like the pit bull.

If they try and lug in anywhere other than an ear they get a kick in the ribs. Ears the safest place for them to grab and the only location they should go for.

You’re right, it’s jolly good fun though I do feel for the pigs. Sometimes you get em with no ears left from other people’s attempts at catching them. Those pigs are typically very mean and fighty lol.

Castrating a pig and letting it go again is poor form - sure they may not increase the population but they’re still doing damage whilst alive.

Anyways! Great pig! American ones are so much pointier in the snout then the ones here. And browner. It’s neat :)

Back