• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I shot the big barr just not with my smoke pole

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got in. I shot the big Barr hog wasn't able to take a smoke pole I had to settle with a snow. If not allowed please delete. The Barr had been rooting up the neighbors cow pasture so he wouldn't. Let me bring a smoke pole. The bar was much bigger than I thought
feeder-light-4.jpg

That's huge. Great hunt. BTW, the term "barrow" is the only one I had ever heard for a castrated male hog. "barr" must be a Texanized form of that word.
mr.rifleman1776, you sir are correct a barrow is the correct terminology and yes sir Barr is at Texas thing

Isn't Barr a Texican term for Boar? I doubt that pig was neutered!!!
old hawkeye, he had no jewels sir, that's one reason he or it got so big, and barr is short for barrow which is casterated boar which he becomes a barr. in east texas we have more hog doggers than anywhere in the state and more hogs. the hog doggers cut them then release the as the grow big there cutters get big and the meat is delicious, there days of breeding and fighting are over alls they do is eat. I posted pics of it behind my house but shot him in the neighbors cattle pasture

old hawkeye, he had no jewels sir, that's one reason he or it got so big, and barr is short for barrow which is casterated boar which he becomes a barr. in east texas we have more hog doggers than anywhere in the state and more hogs. the hog doggers cut them then release the as the grow big there cutters get big and the meat is delicious, there days of breeding and fighting are over alls they do is eat. I posted pics of it behind my house but shot him in the neighbors cattle pasture
Well, I guess I learn something new all the time!! I would have never guessed people would actually castrate wild hogs, but your explanation of why makes sense if one was really in to hogs! I've never heard the term Hog Dogger either. Can you elaborate?

Well, I guess I learn something new all the time!! I would have never guessed people would actually castrate wild hogs, but your explanation of why makes sense if one was really in to hogs! I've never heard the term Hog Dogger either. Can you elaborate?
Hog doggie is a hog. Hunter who uses dogs to bay and or catch hogs normally the bay dogs are a type of a cur dog when they catch up to the hog the cur dogs keep the hog at pay either for someone to shoot or wait until the catch dogs meet up with the cur dogs. Most catch dogs are pit bulls they are trained to get the hog on the ground. Either by the ears snout or any price of flesh they can. Once the catch dog does his part the hunter can decide if he is killing it cutting its jewels off or hobbling it and carrying the hog out to either sell to a game ranch a meat processing plant or to feed it out then slaughter it. I e never hog dogged but that's kind of a generic explanation

Ya need to try dog huntin wholedifferent game! Nothin like puttin your hands on big hog n gettin him down and tying him up or if cold enough slipping a knife into his heart. The chase till they bay is always a adventure!, you never know where you will end up!! Down se tx most of guys bay n catch up here all the old deer dog hunters converted to hogs when deer with dogs was banned n we shoot most up here either running in front of the dogs or going in when he is bayed up, this method uses just bay dogs with no catch dogs. We use curs hounds little bit of everything, got 1 guy we hunt with uses Irish wolfhounds n another has jagd terriers. We usually load them n buggy or truck and ride till strike dog gets a good whiff then turn them lose. We use dogs that are silent on trail that way when you hear them you know they on meat. Whole mother game n a ton of fun just like huntin squirrels with dogs is. Good dogs ain’t cheap n run the risk of getting killed every cast on hogs. I prefer dogs n still hunting down the creeks which they use as highways these days, I will sit a stand n bowhunt, I’ve got a 11,000 acre block that I ride around n spot n stalk, sucker got 50 miles of rd n we have cut most of it n put it back n long leaf n burn it every year n you can see them out n about n put a stalk on them also trap snare n use night vision n thermal kill them every way we can

Latest posts

Back