• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I received a free Hawken

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
well went to dinner at a friends house and afterwords he went into a back room and came out with this.
hawken.jpg

he got it for his dad years ago and he only shot it six times, cleaned it, back in the box, and it been in the closet ever since. His dad knew i like bp and said to give it to me! Don't know much about investarms but it seems to be a nice rifle. This is my second free Hawken in a year!

Great score! Investarms is the same company that makes the Lyman GPR, so you can count on it to be fine quality. Big difference I see in my own Investarms is the addition of a patch box.

What caliber is it?

You're gonna like it a lot. Mine is a 58, but it's opened my eyes and has me watching for "matching" 50 and 54 cals to go with it. I love my GPR's too, but there's just something about this model that sticks with me.

bigmac said:
It's missing the nipple. I assume it takes the 6X75 size?
I haven't had to change mine yet, but that has been my assumption. Same as the Lyman.

BTW- Whatever bearing it has in a barrel that's 25 years "younger," my 50 cal GPR is especially fond of 80 grains of Goex 3f or Pyrodex P under a .490" round ball and a greased .018" ticking patch. I sight it in dead on at 75 yards, where it delivers 1.5" groups all day long. Meanwhile it's nearly right on at 25 yards, barely an inch high at 50 yards, and between 2" and 3" low at 100 yards. Talk about a deer killing machine!

PLEASE, don't assume anything. Make a toll-free phone call to Track of the Wolf, or some closer supplier, and ASK THEM what size nipple your gun uses. Don't GUESS! Order at least 2 of them at a time, so You have a spare when its needed. You can use a thread gauge at any hardware store to measure the thread pitch of that spare nipple to know what size you need to order again, if needed.

I am shooting stainless steel nipples, which I was buying for about $1.00 each 20 years ago. I presume that with the value of the dollar being inflated( reduced) they cost closer to 2 or 3 times what I used to pay. There are special nipples available - the "spitfire" and the " Hot shot"-- that cost more, and there are valid reasons to use these nipples in some guns. I don't think your gun will be one of them, however. :shocked2: :hatsoff: :thumbsup:

You have a true friend! Be sure to thank his dad as it is a great gift! :idunno: :idunno:

Nice, Now don't forget to "Pay it Forward" when ya can, might take awhile but you'll recognize the oppertunity when it comes.
What Comes Around, Goes Around,,,

Yes, It's 6 x 75 metric

My Wife has the same rifle in .54 cal. It's the same gun Cabela's sells with their name on it. She bought it from a man I worked with for a hundred bucks and he gave her another hundred or so in accessories with it at the time. It's a great shooter and she has taken several deer with it....BPS

Back