• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I preparation for the day I dry ball one

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zirk fitting. ? Okay it goes where the nipple would go and then what?

You pump grease into the bore to drive the ball and patch out?

Last edited:
When I have pulled a ball, I seat the ballpuller/ramrod, then use a double half hitch on the rod and tie it to a post or tree or something stationary. I pull the rifle - much safer to let the ramrod flop on the ground than drop the rifle.

Well I was thinking about how I was gonna get a ball out of my GPR if I ever "dry Ball" one and I did a search on this site. I did this cause I am a "Be Prepared" kind of guy. So after an hour of reading I ordered a few 6mmx.75 zerk fittings because I have decided to go with grease gun method. I am also about to order a grease gun with a reversible seal so I can load it with crisco instead of grease .

OK any thoughts , comments , or general BS on my "I'm over thinking this problem" plan.

The Jambuster
It will happen many times friend, its inevitable.

What about the "nipple primer" Track of The Wolf sales? Anyone ever tried it? I'm thinking as about getting it.
If you remove the nipple first sure, it could make it easier to get a few grains into the flash channel. With T/C breech your patience will be tried.

Work running a BSA camp range several summers.
We had 2 -Co2 - discharger's we used first on the dry balled rifles.
If that did not work had a small flask of 4F picked in 5-10 gr. after resetting the ball.
Then as a last resort had an T - handled rod with a ball puller on it.
Did see a guy pulling a ball one time and his rifle discharged from the friction.
Sent the rod 45 yards down range.
how could the rifle go off with no powder

Dry-Ball! Me? Phooey!!!😱

7E8E32EC-FD5B-46F8-9645-4184884584D2.jpeg

CO2 bike pump on order😇

Made a nice ball puller ‘though!

Thanks, threaded the other end.

19E0F5DF-C471-4787-A0B4-6FBD2AB589C1.jpeg

steel rod with flange to stop a piece of slotted steel I slide over the rod. Barrel in soft jawed vice, screw in, steel on, whack with my bee gammer!

hard work (progressive rifling) and a good incentive not to gossip on the firing point!

"GREZ55 said:
Did see a guy pulling a ball one time and his rifle discharged from the friction.
Sent the rod 45 yards down range. "

I do not know why he was pulling the ball.
Just seen what happened when he did.
His bench rod had a large palm saver ball on the end of it.
The ML range had a post with a metal bracket attached just for pulling the ball.
Just so that there was nothing in front of the muzzle.
Hope this answers some of the questions..

I was handed an old buckskinners CVA rifle one day. Said it's been behind the couch in his RV for 15 years. He couldn't get it to shoot after he loaded it. Well I used the ramrod to see where the ball/charge was located, and it was way higher than it should have been. So I poured water in to wet whatever powder was there and lubed up the bore good after drying it. I have a brass range rod about 5' long with a triangle shaped handle. Screwed it in, flipped the gun and put my foot in the triangle and pulled the ball right out. Well the ramrod still didn't go to the bottom. Tried and tried to pull the next ball out, that had been there 15 years he remembered. Had to pull the barrel, wrap it up and put it in a vise. Took my spare range rod and bent a hook into it, slid a piece of 1" steel pipe onto it, and screwed it into the ball. Used the pipe like a slide hammer to get the ball out. Had to use a pressure washer to clean all the rust out. Shot just fine after that.

Have dry balled many times over the years. My Nickname in early years was "Drywall". I have always been able to pull the ball with standard screw puller without any problems. I do prefer the ones with the tapered threads grow TOW.

Powder, possible gap, barrel obstruction, bomb.
having done that and watched it done, many times over the last 30+years. there is no way a sane person would take the time necessary to load enough powder through the nipple hole to create a danger. besides that, the ball isn'
Air extractor5.JPG
t fastened in; it will blow out. I personally prefer to use a CO2 discharger, or compressed air. I make adaptors that screw into the nipple hole or vent liner threads out of bicycle tire valves.

Latest posts

Back