• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I Now Have A Brown Bess - What Do I Do Next?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right!! I’ll send it right along! :grin:

I really appreciate the wealth of information I have received on this forum. There is a lot of expertise here and thanks for sharing it.

Now for a few more questions.

Is a short starter needed?

What do most of you carry your black powder in?

I have a few extra army .50 cal ammunition cans. What do you think of storing my black powder in one of these cans?

For those of you who have made and use paper cartridges for a Bess, what type of string do you use if you are making an English Type paper cartridge as is shown in “Sketch Book 76”? Is there a better type?

I have seen possible bags in a variety of sizes and shapes. What works best for you?

Short starter not needed unless you have a very tight ball fit. With paper cartridges should not be needed (paper will tear if it's that tight, anyway). I seldom use one even with my rifles.

I like horns but use a flask on occasion.

Ammo cans would be OK. I just use heavy cardboard (the shipping containers it comes in).

I used linen string (Jas. Townsend & Son). No real best I would thing. Thin hemp cord would be fine, too. (Some craft supply stores). I have a bunch of ancient onionskin paper that worked great as it was easy to tear with my teeth.

8" x 8" is pretty standard. I use a smaller bag, about 6-1/2" x 7-1/2", in what they call a heart shape (more ox heart than Valentine's heart). For shotgunning I made a square bag with lots of inner pockets for the wads and cards.

Back