• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

i need to find out when this rifle was made its a hawkens 1835 - 1870 the serial number is a492505 its a 54 calibre

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
need it for a english project
If this is for a writing project, it would also be a good idea to work on grammar, punctuation, and capitalization skills. You don't want to rely on "spell-check" or auto correct functions, either. Go back and proof read!

"Write hot, revise cold." Allow plenty of time, but go ahead and write your paper while you are fired up with enthusiasm. Complete it, print it out, and put it aside for at least a day. Then, go back and read it critically. Mark corrections on your paper copy, then make the corrections on your word processor.

If you need help, tell your teacher or instructor you are struggling. As a rule, teachers want their students to do well, and he or she will probably make some very helpful suggestions.

Good luck with it!

Notchy Bob

Also, the barrel is blued, not browned.
Actually Sam and Jake Hawken blued most of their rifles. The brown is patina developed over time. Many of the browned barrels will be blued in the areas protected by the stock. Locks, trigger guards and butt plates were color case hardened. Also Jake and Sam had a local clientele that wanted rifles with a bit of a different architecture that the mountain or plains rifles. These were of smaller caliber 36 to 50 with brass furnishings and one wedge.

Yes, also look for another box with two capital letters. The letters will determine the year of manufacture.

Here’s a little note book I’ve kept that lists them.

As you can see, the Italian dating system started using the capital letters starting in 1975 with the letters “AA”.

Respectfully, Cowboy

View attachment 60588View attachment 60589View attachment 60590View attachment 60591View attachment 60592View attachment 60593View attachment 60594
thank you is it ok that i keep these pictures

thank you is it ok that i keep these pictures
Yes, but of course my friend. It’s public knowledge and not private. Think this forum has a chart as well.

Good luck with your new to you muzzleloader. Many here have extensive knowledge and experience. They’d be more than happy to answer any questions that you may have?

Welcome aboard!

Respectfully, Cowboy

Notchy Bob gives you good advice. Believe it or not I used to be an editor. I found it easier to check spelling by reading text backward so I was only looking at one word at a time, not scanning complete sentences..Also to make punctuation easier remember that everywhere you put a comma you can put a period and start a new sentence, which makes things easier and often results in a somewhat shorter piece. I invented the word demultisylabification, meaning the process of changeing multisyllable words to simple words.it helps a lot. Don't take the style of what I have just written to be a good example of the suggested style. I'm not going to strictly edit it.

ETA: I should mention the Invest Arms and T/C Hawkens are really more Ohio rifles in style. Look up the Association of Ohio Longrifle Collectors web site and study the newsletters you will see pictures of rifles that look very much like the T/C and Italian made halfstocks.In one of the fora abovet Zonie has a sticky describing pre 1870 muzzel loaders you will find useful.

Last edited:
IMG_1477.PNG

Attachments

• IMG_1478.PNG
    IMG_1478.PNG
    526.2 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_1479.PNG
    IMG_1479.PNG
    537 KB · Views: 64
Well at least you've discovered the maker. The year of manufacture shouldn't be too difficult to track down. My guess is the rifle is less than 15 years old.

The date code is located on the bottom flat of your barrel near the breech ( back towards the nipple) my friend.

Again, the two capital letters in a box will tell you your date.

Here’s an example of mine with the capital letter’s [ BU ] signifying mine being made in 2004.

Respectfully, Cowboy36F2B281-85D6-4B16-8071-D9F3C8E4101B.jpeg060849B6-7F79-4014-95F1-E14120A978D3.jpegB98801C8-D8E8-4B7B-B7AA-D3A43886F711.jpeg

do you know where i could find documentation on this

'documentation on documentation'? I'm uncertain what you actually mean by this question. Do you actually speak English? The evidence so far suggests that English is not your first language and I'm thinking that you might need a serious amount of help to achieve your aim. In this case, you need to enlist the help of an English teacher who can better advise you on how to go about putting together and article of what is really quite a technical subject.

Latest posts

Back