• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I need this!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dillon W.

40 Cal
Reaction score
I want one of these terribly! But that price is wayyyy out of my price range. Where could one find one of these at a decent price that is of good quality?

Attachments

• 55CEA058-7288-41A9-B264-1E30C931BBA7.png
    55CEA058-7288-41A9-B264-1E30C931BBA7.png
    204.6 KB · Views: 150
The $11.95 shipping kills it for me.

You mean like the $24 shipping charge for a foresight blade from US to UK, imposed by a company that had the affrontery to 'blacklist' me on E*** because I noted that three weeks seemed to be a long time for an airmail letter...

20191228_150703.jpg

Maybe not as commercially pretty but at $20 from a pawn shop it made a nice powder horn.

I want one of these terribly! But that price is wayyyy out of my price range. Where could one find one of these at a decent price that is of good quality?
That is a nice looking shot flask with a valve to measure shot. It's a nice horn with valve for sure.

Do you need a flask to stand on the table or a horn to carry.

My first thought would be to place a want ad in the forums classified ads. See what pops up.

Second would be a horn from Track of the Wolf. They have a simple horn for $18. I would add a staple to install over the groove for the strap. I would also call to gather a horn with a tip that would accommodate a valve and add the valve and bushing to the order.

Nice flasks do turn up on E-bay from time to time.

How about something like this; large ones are $75, small one is $50. Each
0220201833a.jpg
0220201833a.jpg
0220201840_HDR.jpg
0220201833.jpg
0220201833a.jpg
0220201840_HDR.jpg
0220201833.jpg
plus shipping, flat rate small box, $8 I think.

My large one with the staple and brass charger will accept any size flask tube as a measure.

To the OP:
Any man with a few simple tools, a horn and some patience can make that powder flask. Even better than the feeling of HAVING it is knowing YOU MADE IT! Go for it!

To the OP:
Any man with a few simple tools, a horn and some patience can make that powder flask. Even better than the feeling of HAVING it is knowing YOU MADE IT! Go for it!

I’m beginning to see I’m going to be making a lot of different things now! Every time I pick up a hobby it branches off into at minimum three different crafts. But I believe I’m gonna give it a go!

I bought such a flask with a brass cut off spout from a gunshop near San Diego in 1972. It is flattened, but doesn't have the brass butt piece. I have seem them in antique stores , etc.
I have "won" scores of flasks from E-bay, also. They turn up, just keep looking.

Dillon
The screenshot doesn't really give any perspective. If it is small as a pocket flask for a pistol, as I suspect it is, the build should be moderately easy. The sticky wicket I see is the flask spout. The one in the picture is a pouring spout and is adjustable for measure. While Treso used to make dozens of different valves and spouts back when buckskinning was in it's heyday, I don't know if they still do. The build can be made a bit simpler by using a non adjustible spount and pine or hardwood butt plug, of course if your already skilled a jewelry type work, ignore that comment.
Mark Odle describes how to make a flat horn in his article American Powder Horn in The Book of Buckskinning VI. Byemby, if you get away with just 3 different crafts you either came into this hobby as an accomplished craftsman in his own right or your not trying hard enough.

Back