• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I need help for a Pietta 1860 problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 33697

40 Cal
Reaction score
One of my Pietta 1860 revolvers has an exceptionally tight action where both the wedge and barrel are especially hard to remove and reassemble. Not that the parts are dry, I've tried a couple of different lubes for the wedge and arbor with no results. Are there some simple things I can do to slick up parts like the wedge, arbor slot, arbor diameter or barrel arbor hole without screwing up a perfectly good BP revolver? Any advice from members would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Does the cylinder to barrel gap closeup?
Burrs in slot?
Wedge will be tight especially after shooting.
If tight in arbor I put color on arbor, put in frame and twist a little bit, and lightly fine file at the interference.

follow these two fellows on You tube,

and

the later has a video showing how to loosen up the barrel, wedge and wedge slot, arbor hole and arbor

Excellent videos. I'm set up with the tools and stuff to work on my 1860 and use the videos as a guide. Thanks.

I had the same issue with an Uberti Dragoon. The barrel was on so tight that I had to use the rammer on the cylinder face (and a thin piece of plastic to protect the cylinder face) then used a mallet to whack the lever to loosen the barrel. I used a strip of 600 grit sandpaper to polish the arbor area going into the barrel. I sanded the arbor area all the way around until it came off easily. Only took like 10 minutes of fitting and sanding. Now the barrel comes off easily. If the wedge is very tight you can use some fine nail emery boards to polish the areas out then cold blue the color back.

Shoot it, disassemble it, clean it, reassemble it and repeat. It will loosen up.
I tried that with the Dragoon but it barely made a difference after several range sessions. I suppose eventually after multiple times it would have loosed some but a light polishing like I did resolved the problem on the spot and quick.

Does the cylinder to barrel gap closeup?
Burrs in slot?
Wedge will be tight especially after shooting.
If tight in arbor I put color on arbor, put in frame and twist a little bit, and lightly fine file at the interference.
Don't use a file, use a fine cut stone or very fine grit emery cloth and GO SLOW. Metal removed is gone forever.
If it is a new gun just use it and wear the parts together.
be careful
Bunk

Back