• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I Need Balls!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pipascus,

I have the same rifle in .58. Mine's quite old now, with a Don Getz barrel.
It has the radius grooved bore.
I wanted a ball that would thumb start, no short starter, and got a Lee in .562" to try.
It worked that well I never have changed it.
It sounds wrong, a .562" in a .58 but it shoots excellently with that ball, an 18 thou. patch well lubed with deer tallow, and 70 grs of 2F.
Hunted with nothing else for about ten years and always got my deer.
For target work, the same load shoots Very accurately.

Best,
Richard.

That's exactly what I want to set up: not needing a short starter needed! I think short starters are OK for target and competition, but for woods running etc. they seem to be a hindrance.

I'll check that out, THANKS!

Pipascus,

I have the same rifle in .58. Mine's quite old now, with a Don Getz barrel.
It has the radius grooved bore.
I wanted a ball that would thumb start, no short starter, and got a Lee in .562" to try.
It worked that well I never have changed it.
It sounds wrong, a .562" in a .58 but it shoots excellently with that ball, an 18 thou. patch well lubed with deer tallow, and 70 grs of 2F.
Hunted with nothing else for about ten years and always got my deer.
For target work, the same load shoots Very accurately.

Best,
Richard.

Apologies if this is a silly question, but what do you recommend for patch material that is 18 thousandths of an inch? I plan to keep lubed strips that I hang from my bag strap and cut with my knife.

Thank you!

Pip,
I found a matress ticking at a farm sale. (!) It was the blue and white striped stuff, and have enough for patches for a lifetime or more.
I too tear strips the width I need and hang them from a hook on the pouch, But, I cut them nearly through with scissors, so I can simply tear a (square) patch off. Square shoots as good as round.
I soaked the strips in deer tallow, and laid them on newspaper to cool, then roll them up for storage. They are cut near through before dipping.

Apologies if this is a silly question, but what do you recommend for patch material that is 18 thousandths of an inch? I plan to keep lubed strips that I hang from my bag strap and cut with my knife.

Thank you!
I get my patching from JoAnn's Fabrics. I usually get the #40 Cotton Drill cloth that is 0.017" to 0.018" thick in the Utility Cloth section, which may be in a different aisle than the pillow and mattress ticking. Mattress ticking runs thicker to the 0.018 or 0.020. Be sure to wash the sizing out. This is a stiffener that makes the cloth feel nice on the bolt, but does nothing beneficial for holding lubricant. The washing in hot water removes the sizing and drying in a hot dryer will induce some slight shrinking to tighten the weave.

There are also some denim weaves that work well too. Always be sure that you are getting 100% cotton material.

For thicker material, go to the canvas aisle. There you can find material of 0.022 to 0.024" thick. 100% cotton of course.

If you are having trouble with patches shredding, perhaps some 100% flax linen is what you need. Linen is much more expensive than cotton fabrics, but it is much stronger. Look for a tight weave. Because linen is stronger than cotton, you may find that linen in 0.015" thick fabric will work well.

Take your micrometer or caliper to the store to measure. Be aware that the sizing will prevent you from getting a good compressed fabric reading. You want a tight weave that when you hold the fabric up to the light, you don't see a lot of pin holes of light between the threads.

Back