• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I need a rotissery

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chipper

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm planning to roast some wild meat this weekend at a gathering. I have a tripod that I hang pots from. I would like to make a rotissery that will hang from the same tripod. I heard of guys hanging meat from basically a grappling hook and dangling it over the fire. It doesn't seem like it will cook the meat eavenly. Any suggestions? Pictures would be helpfull. I would like this contraption to be able to roast chickens as well as wild meat. I'll forge what ever I need out of iron.
Anyway, thank you in advance.

Regards
Loyd Shindelbower
Blacksmith
Loveland Colorado

roastingspit.jpg

I just made a copy of this roasting spit yesterday for my wife's birthday. It looks like it would be ideal for use with a tripod. Note that it is made out of 1/4'' square stock, and the upturned hooks at the ends of the arc are sized to keep the square spit from turning when it is set down in them. That way you can turn the spit 90 degrees at a time and have it stay put. I may widen the one for the pointy end of she spit, so that you only have to lift the handle end of the spit out of its hook to rotate it, The pair of pronged "meat grippers" are flat 1'' wide stock with square holes so they keep the meat from spinning on the spit. I made my roaster about 13'' wide, but you could size it up or down.

Dude, thanks. I made one like this but the actual metal rod was simply square stock and the meat was hard to manage. It kept turning downwards with gravity. I used a small metal rod to keep things kind of working. I'm going to forge up the pointy things tonight and give it another try.

By the way, I'm planning to make the squewer thingy about twice as long. It gets real hot, I'm thinking longer would be better.

Regards
Loyd

Back