• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I need a recommendation for professional grade gunsmith screwdrivers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have used the interchangable bits from Brownellls for close to thirty years. Number one reason is this, they have a bit to fit almost every size screw slots on millions of firearms made world wide. Me? I hate to see a buggered screw slot on anything. It shows carelessness on the behalf of the person who removed and replaces screws.

Bought mine at Midway. Believe they are the Wheeler. Only problem i have had is finding the set ,keeps disappearing .

Correction to my above post. I think Chapman sells their bits individually as well, though they don't have the full range of sizes Brownells does.

Gus
Chapman was my first set I also recently purchased the complete Brownels set but my go to is still the Chapman 8900 it works on my Colts and all my Flintlocks. Both highly rated I do like the handle, wrench and adapters that come with the Chapman though.

I'm just old enough that I had to make or re-make screwdrivers to fit the screw slots of guns I worked on. I went to antique stores to find 19th century Turnscrews and reshaped the bits to fit 19th century guns I worked on most often. I still have and cherish them, but there are WAY too many different screw slots to cover the modern, antique and repro guns I have owned and used.

I, along with my students at an NRA Gunsmithing Course in the mid 1980's, was gifted a basic set by the Brownells representative who was one of my students. I wound up adding on ALL the upgrade kits to it over the years and that includes the thin bit set. I wouldn't think to do any gun work today without them.

Nowadays, it really is unusual for me to have to make or remake a screwdriver, except for when I want a period correct one.

Gus

Chapman for me. I have used the included ratchet with a LOT of down pressure and never broke a tip. They are a little pricey but when I have tried cheaper ones I have broken them and been disappointed. Have not tried the Brownells drivers.

For modern factory repop stuff, Brownells but for old guns or new made guns with hand cut screw heads, I agree with Gus on the re-shaped old turnscrews

Back