• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

i need a little help on solder,,,,,,,,,,

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i took my barrel out of my TVM southern rifle just to check things out and clean. the front barrel tenon was off. they silver solder them on the barrel. i have never seen that done. i have always saw them dove tailed. anyway i need to solder it back. what is the best silver solder to use for such a thing? thanks for the help,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I had that happen with a TVM fowler many years ago. I called Matt; he said to ship it back and a week later I had it fixed and returned. Good folks down there.

ADK Bigfoot

i took my barrel out of my TVM southern rifle just to check things out and clean. the front barrel tenon was off. they silver solder them on the barrel. i have never seen that done. i have always saw them dove tailed. anyway i need to solder it back. what is the best silver solder to use for such a thing? thanks for the help,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Hmmm, a trend?
My octagon to round barrel on my TVM smoothrifle suffered the same issue. Eventually even the middle one popped (the rear one is in the octagon section and is dovetailed) too.
I was able to fix it with a low temp/high tensile strength soldering paste and a propane torch.

I have a post here somewhere about it That shows the type/brand of solder paste I used.

Bigfoot has most likely the best answer. However if you do want to solder it back on, it's not that hard to do. I doubt they used true silver solder as that has a melting point upwards of 1200 degrees. You could use a soft solder found at the hardware store or something a bit stronger like Force 44 from Brownells. These melt at a much lower temp and can be done with a propane torch. The joint must be clean and fit well. I would first make sure it's a good fit, then tin the lug in a vise, once cooled flux it and position it on the barrel with a light clamp, heat the barrel area until the solder melts

I soldered the two tenons on the round part of my octagon to round smoothie. It has yet to come loose. I just used solder I had lying around for sweating pipes.

This stuff is fool proof, I tried to knock one of my fowlers underlugs off with a hammer after I used this product to stick it on, it didn't budge.

soldering on a lug.jpg
silver solder paste.jpg

Just be sure to clamp it. I took a clamp and a flat thin shim and soldered that on the screw side. As little clamps have a divit in them that makes it hard to get a good hold. A flat spring clamp works too. Don’t try and solder without a clamp. Don’t ask me how I know.

Just be sure to clamp it. I took a clamp and a flat thin shim and soldered that on the screw side. As little clamps have a divit in them that makes it hard to get a good hold. A flat spring clamp works too. Don’t try and solder without a clamp. Don’t ask me how I know.
I had pretty good luck with the @Eric Krewson method of using mechanic's wire. I just could not get any clamp to hold true and square no mater how many of the tricks I saw on here that I tried.

I have silver soldered loops and fore sights to barrels for over 1/2 a century. No problems.Find a source of low temp (cadmium) silver solder and you will be OK. You may have to go to the back streets to find low cad silver solder as it's now not available in most parts of the world.. Suspect the big "c".. OLD DOG..

Hi Force 44 is very good for this type of repair. As others have said make sure both parts are well cleaned, tin both parts and clamp. I made a clamp for these by cutting a slot in an old hacksaw blade that will fit over the tab on the tenon and will put pressure on the base.

Back