• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I need a little advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

erstrauss62

36 Cl.
Reaction score
I recently inherited A Louis Smith Kentucky rifle. A Colt 51 navy 2nd generation c series. A colt second generation 3rd model dragoon c series. I shot quite a bit of black powder when I was younger But have too many irons in the fire to take on another interest. I'm interested in selling these firearms But don't really know where to start.. I'm not super computer savvy to put them on an auction at gunbrokers. I don't have an eBay account much less with some 5 star rating. Any advice on how I would go about selling these online ? No one is going to want to pay for these firearms before receiving them without some sort of sellers rating on my end. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Clean and oil them carefully and put them away. Consider them like an investment account. Let them gain interest.......Maybe you will have Time further down the road.

Agreed!

..., but also erstrauss62 be aware that the only black powder manufacturing plant in the United States just shut down. So a lot of the folks are dropping coin to get hold of whatever powder they can. Others might be reluctant to buy, because for the next year or so, not much shooting will be done, and nobody knows what the future will bring. So simply prepping them for storage and storing them is the best idea, as you may get much better results from the sale in 2025 than you'd get now or in the next few years.

LD

Going to pick things up this weekend. I will post some detailed photos next week.. Maybe I can get some idea as to what the values are of these firearms. Thank you for your replies

Once you figure out what you would like to sell any of those firearms for take pictures of them and post them up for sale here. At least you wouldn't have to worry about ebay or all of the others getting their cut into your money.

be aware that the only black powder manufacturing plant in the United States just shut down.

Same thing happened here in UK when we lost Curtis & Harvey and TPPH. We are left with Henry Krank, Schuetzen, Swiss and a new-to-us Polish maker who has been in the business since the early 1600's. Our collective hearts go out to you, truly.

The USA was BORN from the effective use of black powder, and the men who used it to gain the freedom from tyranny that most of you enjoy.

Is there nothing you can do to get something going again?

Last edited:
20211002_184621.jpg
20211002_184621.jpg
20211002_184633.jpg
20211002_184655.jpg

Personally, I would suggest a lite coat of oil, then secure storage for at least a year. During that time, casually take note of what guns like you have sell for on the online sites like this one and Gunbroker for example. Not the asking price, but the selling price. You will then know what you have and it’s worth. There are a lot of vultures on the internet.

Can anyone tell me what this is. Looks like a navy but not quit the same with the recess at the loading lever
It’s an 1860 Colt New Model Army F series. Do you have any of the boxes? According to one gun tuner, they’re nearly worthless as shooters and have collector value only. That being said, I shoot the hell out of mine. I’ll send you a private message with my contact information if you’re interested in selling.

If somehow I was under the impression that an army was a 44 caliber this looks like a 36. Thank you for the information that's awesome

I could well be mistaken, but I think the term "navy", as far as Colt is concerned, refers to the naval battle scene roll-stamped on the cylinder.

Latest posts

Back