• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

CLOSED I need a .526 Round Ball Mold

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Not me I have a CVA 54 cal mountain rifle percussion 80gr 3 f .530 round ball 15 thousands patch my lube, she is a tack driver. laid a bunch of em down with that rifle and load, its my really bad weather out go to gun. especially on the move still hunting.

Try a .530 with .010 patch but put either a felt wad or a loose patch under it.

If I show my targets at 120 yards all the .54 shooters may want one... 😉
I’d add some tin to my lead (1:40 to 1:20) and try a .520” mold if I were ‘desperate’. Would likely end up around .522”/.523” diameter. A little over $50 to experiment. If it doesn’t work, could sell the mold. Cost could be less than that for a few boxes of balls.

Have just discovered that my Colerain .54 barrel is too tight with .530. A pack of .526 balls from TOW works great but I cant find a mold..
With all this advice and chatter, why not just order one from Chris Tanner, in the UK, as one of the other replies suggested. You’re looking everywhere and not finding one and Chris Tanner will make what you want. It’s a no brainer to me

Bagmolds.com and ballmoulds.com both appear to be in business still and offer custom sizes to 0.001”. Neither have sprue cutter plates. I’ve used both, and they do well, although the little bag mold gets real hot in a hurry.

Last edited:
I'll send a note to Lee and inquire as to the minimum order quantity for a custom.
FYI - Response from Lee

We do not make a round ball mold for .526" as a standard product.

We have a .562 - #90460 for $26.98 plus shipping and handling.

If you are interested in a custom mold, we are not offering this service at this time. Due to unprecedented order volume, we have suspended many custom services including bullet molds until we are able to meet the required volume of our standard products.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Brenda

Customer Service

Lee Precision, Inc.

Are Tanner molds still in business? Jeff Tanner died back along. He used tio make decent brass molds.
Nit Wit

Have just discovered that my Colerain .54 barrel is too tight with .530. A pack of .526 balls from TOW works great but I cant find a mold..
I have a .500 brass one that I just listed.

Mine is LEE #90453 supposed to be .527 been busy fixing truck and other stuff so may be a few days to cast a good ball and measure it.

There is a guy who goes to Friendship who sells used molds.

Send Fleener a PM to see if he knows who that is and if he knows how to contact him.

Update: Since I am unable to find a .526" mold, I bought some .010" patches from TOW in hopes they might solve my issues with .530" balls. These however proved to be an unacceptable solution. Cut through on every land.

1599007915929.png

So, I visited Jo Ann Fabric with micrometer in my pocket and found some cotton that measures in at .013". This material appears to be a solution. Patched .530 balls slide down nicely, recovered patches are perfect and accuracy at 75 yards is excellent. POI has oddly raised up several inches and I have ordered a taller front sight to cure that.

Zonie, I think this need has now been resolved and would you please close the wanted posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back