• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I must do this wrong

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Last 2 times I've tried Aquafortis my stocks just turned out real dark.They showed really nice curl when wetted but when I done the AQ they just went dark. I put a coat on and then used heat gun. Then repeated. Then permalyn. Didn't like the to dark.I th I nk I'm using to much heat not scorching though.

I think aquafortus is the best stain, but like you I’ve never had good results with it. My have been black or green, I gave up so I can just drool on guns my betters have built

Henry Ford's Model T was called by many the best car ever made. It put millions behind the wheel affordablely and was reliable for its day. Some even today say it's the safest and best car ever made.
But that's nostalgia talking and not common sense.

I feel the same way about Aqua Fortis. It was the best ever for a long time, used by many in the industry, and well respected and trusted for decades.

I think there will always be a place for it, but I think there are better products available.

You need to rub the aquafortis back, lots of people use scotchbrite or sandpaper and some oil. Just putting it on and blushing it goes dark and that's it, I can understand why you don't like it.

Yes, need to sand it back after blushing or straight grained areas will darken appreciably and somewhat negate the contrast of the stripes. The sanding dust is very acidic so wear a mask or have a breeze at your back.

Last 2 times I've tried Aquafortis my stocks just turned out real dark.They showed really nice curl when wetted but when I done the AQ they just went dark. I put a coat on and then used heat gun. Then repeated. Then permalyn. Didn't like the to dark.I th I nk I'm using to much heat not scorching though.
In my experience with Aquafortis, if it is that dark/black, you are heating too much. When I did it, I "toasted" it to a reddish brown. I also did two coats of it on a rifle I previously built. If the AF is green, then you haven't heated it enough. This previous rifle I built had two coats of AF, then heated to red/brown, then a coat of tannic acid, which was then rubbed back with fine scotch bright and I believe Murphy's oil soap. The tannic acid finish is DARK black and remains in the low areas when rubbed back.
20210411_174114.jpg

In my experience with Aquafortis, if it is that dark/black, you are heating too much. When I did it, I "toasted" it to a reddish brown. I also did two coats of it on a rifle I previously built. If the AF is green, then you haven't heated it enough. This previous rifle I built had two coats of AF, then heated to red/brown, then a coat of tannic acid, which was then rubbed back with fine scotch bright and I believe Murphy's oil soap. The tannic acid finish is DARK black and remains in the low areas when rubbed back.
View attachment 221073
Beautiful photo!

A lot depends on the type of maple your stock is grown from. Some maple reacts to AF in a manner that will turn very black with heat. Try rubbing back the AF finish with sandpaper/steel wool/or nylon scrub pad to lighted up the AF finish. This should tame that dark black color.

Back