• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I made a noobie mistake on cleaning rod -- Range rod for PA long gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Many years ago I managed to break a rod while trying to reload for a second shot at a deer. Bad case of buck fever! I just missed getting speared and only took a little hide off my hand. It does happen. I used a range rod at the range and a Delrin for most hunting.

Many years ago I managed to break a rod while trying to reload for a second shot at a deer. Bad case of buck fever! I just missed getting speared and only took a little hide off my hand. It does happen. I used a range rod at the range and a Delrin for most hunting.
My first year hunting big game with a muzzleloader…I missed my first shot at a big doe. Reloaded and proceeded to take aim and shoot my ramrod at the deer with the 2nd shot…it was a tough season.

Last edited:
Have broken only one wooden r/r in 50 years. In late 70's , into the 80's" I was shooting a lot of competition offhand , with a 44" brl. .50 cal longrifle. Always , Always used a short starter. The rod I ruined was during a practice session. It made a sizzling sound , which was the hickory fibers breaking down in the middle of the rod. I may have bent the rod too much , as my 5' 7" frame , caused me to put the long rifle butt into a hole in the ground , so I could load , and see the muzzle. Two young fellows I built long rifles for , came in twice with shattered rods, because they just missed the training Given about the importance of short starters. I fixed 'em up , all was well.........oldwood :thumb:

We have had metal and synthetic ramrods for so long now that old wives tales about broken ramrods and impaled hands from wooden rods are rampant. Most of them are just that, old wives tales and made-up stories.
Had a broken ramrod get me years ago, pre all the internet knowledge and expertise we have today. Split wooden ram rod went through the side of my thumb. Took a lot of digging to get all the wood chips and crud out, then around a dozen stitches to close things up. Happened over 35 years ago and it still tells me when the weather is changing. Witnessed it happening a number of times. Definitely an old wives tale, until it happens to you.

I noticed the finish was rubbing off the rod when I would seat a load or run a patch threw the barrel. The crown on this barrel is sharp. I am the type of guy who likes to play with Murphy's law 😜 a lot. I learned from my time in the army and working as a cop, if if can go wrong, it will go wrong and at the worst possible time.

Also I am not very gentle with things and I like the feel of steel when I am seating the load. I will not use this rod for local hunts and such, but when I am able to get to the range I try to spend few hours.

Thanks again for your help!
Koz

About 35 years ago six of us were shooting the Pit River Rhondy when Rod broke his wooden ram rod and put it through the middle of his hand. Back then there was only fiberglass rods as a alternative which we went to. Some years later we changed to Delrin. We put a 8-32 and a 10-32 on each end. Rod is still named “Hole in the Hand”.
Doc,

I buy hickory rod blanks and make my own, looking at the run out of the wood, at the end I try to cut it out ,if near the middle back it goes
I've broken a few always near the end when trying to push past crud ring ( now using a better lube)

Latest posts

Back