• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I LOVE THIS GUN........

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bowfish

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I posted the info for some R/B loads for a 20 ga and I want to thank all of you for the help.But let me tell you this fowler puts all the fun back into shooting for me with the load data out I went and at 30 yards it shoots inch and a half high and about the same to the right but holds a 2 inch group for me loaded with 80grns 2f one overpowder wad and then felt wad treated with crisco and a .600 R/B with a .010 patch lubed with lehigh valley.Also want to say how much I like the lehigh valley lube it was 10 degrees out and it never froze up or got stiff even put a patch in the fridge for one day and it still did not get stiff.But now I have the bug for a shorter trade gun style of the brown bess anyone know where a guy can get one in kit form? Well thanks again everyone for the help will have more questions comeing soon so consider yourself warned!!!

holds a 2 inch group for me loaded with 80grns 2f one overpowder wad and then felt wad treated with crisco and a .600 R/B with a .010 patch lubed...

You know, you could just omit the wads and run 80 grains of FFg with a .600 R/B with a .010 patch lubed...

Just in case you didn't know...

I'm not saying that you can't do it the way you are, but it would cut a few loading steps off of the loading process...

Maybe I'll try it your way with my bess and see if the group improves, but right now I'm getting a 1 shot group that measures .735 inch at 50 yards... :winking: ::

p.s. I'm glad that you're thrilled with your new musket...

Round balls in smoothbores is like going to school with no underwear. It feels like your're getting away with something thrilling and no-one else knows. Easy to load, easy to clean.

Like Musketman says, you really don't need the wads. The round ball compresses a bit without them and might actually give you a better result, not that 2" at 30 yards is anything but fine. I make up paper 'squib' cartridges with a .650" ball for my .662" smoothbore fusil and I can get five shots off in a minute . . . but they won't be in a 2" group at 30 yards. You also have to prime before you load, which is politically incorrect in most shooting circles.

Enjoy. And for shot loads in a cylinder bore remember: Less powder, more lead, shoots far, kills dead. More powder, less lead, kicks hard, wide spread.

I've got a 12ga smoothbore I put together from parts laying around the shop ten years ago. The touch hole burned through the thin wall barrel after a couple of years and I had to drill it out to 5/32 to clean it up. You don't have to prime it, just thump the butt on the ground after dumping the powder down the tube and slosh some powder through the touch hole and into the pan! It squirts an impressive cloud of powder smoke out the vent, but works great and ends the need for priming as a seperate operation. Again, not approved method, but works great!

Back