• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I have wanted this gun since I was a kid!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fastleo could you post a picture of the rifle. I would like to see what it looks like. I hope it all goes good for you. Thanks for sharing
It’s still sealed in its original plastic packaging as pictured. I’m not quite done enjoying it as is yet. I honestly thought about calling the log cabin shop and seeing if they would build it.

Take your time and pay attention to the details when finishing and you'll have a fine rifle. As others have mentioned I'd hold off on the scope.

I’m not particularly into building (never have built one) kit guns so I’m going to leave it as is for now. I probably will end up paying a craftsman to build it if there are guys out there that do that sort of thing.

I have the exact same unbuilt 54 caliber kit, mine is an early one with a U.S. barrel though.
I also have an unbuilt Sharon Trade Rifle in .54 as well. The cellophane over the barrel was removed to verify the numbers.
I want to build them but between work, 2 classic car projects and a grand daughter there’s not much time to dedicate to a rifle build.

I say build it yourself- they were made with the new builder in mind.
It will mean so much more coming from your hand.
Don’t hurry anything, think every step through a few times before doing anything.
There are plenty of folks here who didn’t think they could build one that ended up with fine rifles.
Ask for help and there are tons of videos and articles out there to help you.

Give it a go!

I’m not particularly into building (never have built one) kit guns so I’m going to leave it as is for now. I probably will end up paying a craftsman to build it if there are guys out there that do that sort of thing.
I've finished and refinished many kit guns for people who do not have the time or woodworking skills to do it correctly. Generally "Kit" gun is a derogatory term but it should not be. If care is taken they will be better in every way to the factory finished ones, especially CVA. On all builds, including upper end custom builds. more time is spent on the final fitting and finish than anything else but this is the area where most new builders start getting into a hurry to see it done. If interested send me a PM.

I've finished and refinished many kit guns for people who do not have the time or woodworking skills to do it correctly. Generally "Kit" gun is a derogatory term but it should not be. If care is taken they will be better in every way to the factory finished ones, especially CVA. On all builds, including upper end custom builds. more time is spent on the final fitting and finish than anything else but this is the area where most new builders start getting into a hurry to see it done. If interested send me a PM.

I’ll consider this. How much do you charge? Do you have a business? Or just hobby?

Great rifle, but on the scope, it is very hard to see anything in low light conditions. I had one and sold it, if you have hunted with iron sites at dusk you know you can’t see to shoot. Or heavy cover in a valley shadows the scope is next to worthless cause you won’t be able to put the cross hairs on your target with out enough light on the target! I do hope the mounts are better than the early ones, mine didn’t stay tight.
coupe

I still have one in .58 that I built in the early 80s. Shoots great! You’ll like it for sure. About a year ago I refinished the stock.
IMG_8646.jpeg

I have the same scope. The adjustments are not that great. but it does work and the rings are hexagon so after 20 some years I hand filed them round and made a huge difference in the way they look.

Attachments

• rifle.jpg
    rifle.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 0
Many moons ago I had a CVA 54 and a 58, both had 2 barrel keys instead of the usual 1. They also pewter nose caps. The story around back then was Sharon barrel company made some barrels for CVA. These two were quality guns not the usual CVA stuff. They were bought new like that. Early to mid 70’s. Both were tack drivers. I have so much sellers/traders remorse I can’t stand myself. Lol

I have the same scope. The adjustments are not that great. but it does work and the rings are hexagon so after 20 some years I hand filed them round and made a huge difference in the way they look.

Now that, Sir, looks just fine to me. It's a traditional and contemporary-style scope on a percussion rifle- much after the style used during the Civil War. Some results from shooting it would be great to see!

Now that, Sir, looks just fine to me. It's a traditional and contemporary-style scope on a percussion rifle- much after the style used during the Civil War. Some results from shooting it would be great to see!
It is a .577 caliber that is 1 1/8” across and 32” long 1 in 66 rifling. Stock was Belgium style shot gun from the Zulu trade era as close as I can find with the lock dated 1859 from La Toole’ France. The hammer has been cut and reshaped a few times. I used it as a sniper rifle when I did Civil War re-enactments.

Back