• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I have this old knife, what is it?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one of my neighbors down the road is a civil war and relic archeologist. he looked at the knife this morning. he dose not know if it is old. but he has a friend who is a knife collector and expert. he took some photos and sent them to him, he will let me know what he says, thanks for everyone's opinions, it has been fun,,,,,,,,,,,,,

well my friend told me yesterday he sent the photos to the "expert" and he said the knife looked like a genuine southern civil war blade to him. LOL who knows? but this friend of mine goes to patriots point in Charleston SC to a civil war relic show and swap meet. it is in Jan. and I may go with him and take it there to have it looked at. maybe while all the fellers are keyed up I can sell it for a crazy price,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

JMHO, it's nice enough that I would measure it out and get all the specs, you have some good pictures. If they offer you something stupid amount of money to sell it, I would. Then take the pictures and measurements and get another one made to use. I think it is a fantastic blade. Would be an honor to own and use.

Doc

well my friend told me yesterday he sent the photos to the "expert" and he said the knife looked like a genuine southern civil war blade to him. LOL who knows? but this friend of mine goes to patriots point in Charleston SC to a civil war relic show and swap meet. it is in Jan. and I may go with him and take it there to have it looked at. maybe while all the fellers are keyed up I can sell it for a crazy price,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Olskool,

Is there only one pin that holds the grip on? I could only see one in the picture, though there may be more. If only one and looking at the grip which has no age cracks or other signs of long age, that strongly suggests the grip is held on by epoxy and is not a 19th century piece.

I've seen a lot of "Confederate D Guard and other Bowie Knives," I have never seen one where the antler grip had so much exposed pith on the front top and bottom of the grip. That amount of pith would have made the grip/haft very weak at that point.

A knife blade left in an old barn for any length of time would have some deeper pits in it and the finish would not be so uniform, unless it was rusted rather evenly throughout.

Nice Knife, but I agree with others it probably is no older than around the Civil War Centennial (the 1960's) if even that old.

Gus

I would gleefully add it to my 'old' knives for sure. I have two, very old, with maker info. Both, I believe, were made in mid to late 1800s. They certainly look good in the buffalo hide sheaths I made in the style shown in Miller's paintings.. Polecat

EBAY, old barn, Kentucky. I'd say early 21st century.

Looks A LOT like a knife a fellow I know made by "stock reduction" of a reciprocating power hacksaw blade. I haven't seen i,t nor the guy, in about 25 years..., heck it could be THAT knife.

Doesn't make it any less "nice" for sure. It might, however, encourage you to use it as it likely not an antique.

LD

Back