• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I have a stuck bullet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome video, but I dare I ask how would you accomplish this with a flintlock without the threads that the percussion includes.
I don't see that grease tip working on a touch hole.

Let the games begin again!

:thumb:

A very good demonstration of how to remove a stuck ball from a barrel. Your demonstration is particularly good for the instances where the powder in the chamber isn't shooting the ball out and the barrel is back in the shop where the 4 grains of powder under the nipple is not a practical option. I might have tried using a CO2 discharger. The pressure inside the little canister is 800 PSI and might move the stuck ball when the 120 PSI air compressor couldn't. I find your description spot on when dealing with a found barrel with a ball at the breech and an unknown load. The procedure to make sure any possible powder is not going to discharge. I think having a rod in the barrel and looking for the rod to move would be a good visual indicator that the grease is pushing the ball out. Squirt the grease out on a paper towel or in a plastic bag is a good way to prevent a lot of greasy mess. Yes, its important to use soap and water to take the remaining grease from the barrel.

Thanks for the demonstration of the removal of the stuck nipple. That too is an important part of the process of removing a stuck ball.

Thanks for the video. Visual proof that the grease gun works and is not as scary many want to believe.

Great video, slow and easy to follow with common sense, PEREFCT! Only part that I wouldn't do is cleaning the barrel out in the kitchen. Actually my wife would sit back seathing and wait for me to re-assemble my rifle and then promptly shoot me with it lololol All kidding aside great video!!!!!

I had a stuck round ball in a 36 cal. rifle that was stuck about 6-8” from the muzzle. I was using a grease gun to remove the ball and put a drill bit in the muzzle to watch the ball move as I pumped the grease gun. I had a lot of pressure in the barrel with the grease gun and the ball had not moved. As I kept adding more pressure the ball jumped about 1”. This jump by the ball shot the drill bit out of the barrel hard enough to stick it in the side of a wooden cabinet on my work bench. The ball was still in the barrel at this time but as I added more pressure it slid out of the muzzle easily. Always make sure the muzzle is aimed in a safe direction even if you’re just using a grease gun to push the ball out.
:thumb:

A very good demonstration of how to remove a stuck ball from a barrel. Your demonstration is particularly good for the instances where the powder in the chamber isn't shooting the ball out and the barrel is back in the shop where the 4 grains of powder under the nipple is not a practical option. I might have tried using a CO2 discharger. The pressure inside the little canister is 800 PSI and might move the stuck ball when the 120 PSI air compressor couldn't. I find your description spot on when dealing with a found barrel with a ball at the breech and an unknown load. The procedure to make sure any possible powder is not going to discharge. I think having a rod in the barrel and looking for the rod to move would be a good visual indicator that the grease is pushing the ball out. Squirt the grease out on a paper towel or in a plastic bag is a good way to prevent a lot of greasy mess. Yes, its important to use soap and water to take the remaining grease from the barrel.

Thanks for the demonstration of the removal of the stuck nipple. That too is an important part of the process of removing a stuck ball.

Thanks for the video. Visual proof that the grease gun works and is not as scary many want to believe.

Excellent video, Ron. Your video will help shooters who have no resources, (tools), skills or knowledge. Grease, a grease gun and a grease fitting to fit the breech is all the neophyte needs to remove a stuck bullet. One could use your method in the kitchen to get the job done.
Having said that, there are many of us who have the tools skill and knowledge to simply remove the breech plug/bolster and drive the bullet out of the barrel. We are the lucky ones.

Your bench is a mess which tells me you are a man who gets things done one way or another.
Keep up the good work!

I hope that this video will keep guys from trying some really sketchy methods.

Nice to see somebody do it that way. I missed something though, about 5 grain of powder under the nipple would have shot it out. Easier peasier.

Yes, that's true, but in this case the nipple was stuck and that had to be dealt with before the ball could be removed. Now the barrel is back in the house and shooting off a round might not be advisable. So first step was to pull the nipple. Then how to get the ball out without damaging a wall or disturbing neighbors.

He also somewhat showed, and verbally described a lot of gunk in the bottom of the nipple seat. When removing a nipple that has corroded into place, you can't always assume that you will be able to shoot the dry ball out with a few grains of powder.

OTOH, the grease gun, and hydraulics, almost always works. If it doesn't, that barrel is trashed.

Back