• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I have a soft frizzen!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@stevenjay1, you haven't identified the make of the lock. That may have a bearing on either a replacement frizzen or whether resoling the face of the frizzen or having a blacksmith harden and temper the frizzen is the best choice.

The Log Cabin Shop is a good choice given no information on the lock.

As grenadier stated a replacement frizzen might be a cheaper solution. If it’s a traditions, cva, Davis, L&R or a few others just ordering a replacement might be easier and cheaper. If it’s a Pedersoli be prepared to pay an insane amount for a frizzen. In the case of a Pedersoli or a custom lock I’d get the frizzen re-hardened.

@stevenjay1, you haven't identified the make of the lock. That may have a bearing on either a replacement frizzen or whether resoling the face of the frizzen or having a blacksmith harden and temper the frizzen is the best choice.

The Log Cabin Shop is a good choice given no information on the lock.
Just to play devil's advocate.
If the lock is of mass produced factory manufacture, Traditions, TC, CVA, or such, who's to say the replacement won't also be soft? Seems like something made in mass produced large batches is going to have issues in large batches.

Take the lock out of the gun and send it to The Log Cabin Shop in Lodi OH and save yourself the aggravation and hassle. ;) :ThankYou:

A little more info…. I pick up a 44 cal Kentuckian flint rifle made by jager real cheap. I have no allusion that this is anything but a mass produced inexpensive rifle. However, I am having some fun getting it to shoot. Sometimes when the trigger is pulled the gun fires almost instantly, sometimes its Like a fuse and sometimes it doesn’t fire at all. I’ve tried different flints and keep them sharp. Hence, I suspect that the frizzen may be soft as I don’t see a lot of sparks when I’m in a completely dark room. I have read that the frizzen was a problem with these rifles. Over all the gun is like new, great bore and worth spending a few bucks on.
To all, thanks for the feedback.
Steve

A little more info…. I pick up a 44 cal Kentuckian flint rifle made by jager real cheap. I have no allusion that this is anything but a mass produced inexpensive rifle. However, I am having some fun getting it to shoot. Sometimes when the trigger is pulled the gun fires almost instantly, sometimes its Like a fuse and sometimes it doesn’t fire at all. I’ve tried different flints and keep them sharp. Hence, I suspect that the frizzen may be soft as I don’t see a lot of sparks when I’m in a completely dark room. I have read that the frizzen was a problem with these rifles. Over all the gun is like new, great bore and worth spending a few bucks on.
To all, thanks for the feedback.
Steve
I am somewhat familiar with the 44 Kentuckian made by Euroarms, but have never seen one made by ‘Jager’. The couple of Euroarms 44 Kentuckians I saw (early 1970s manufacturer?) performed similar to what you described until touch hole liners were added. As made they had a straight drilled hole that wasn’t relieved on the inside, and adding a threaded liner was simpler that pulling the breech plug and attempting to back bore the touch hole. A small sample, but a soft frizzen wasn’t an issue with them.

You also mentioned using different flints. Natural or sawcut?

Who can reharden a frizzen? I neither have the space or knowledge to do it myself. Thanks
I attended a entry level Blacksmith class at the local university 3 years ago. Shortly after a friend had a soft frizzen on a used rifle he bought. He asked me to harden it. I passed, but referred him to our instructor. He got it done for a handshake... and some cool beverages for the help. He's very happy with the work, no ignition problems.

You might see if there's a bladesmith or Blacksmith class being taught near you.

I am somewhat familiar with the 44 Kentuckian made by Euroarms, but have never seen one made by ‘Jager’. The couple of Euroarms 44 Kentuckians I saw (early 1970s manufacturer?) performed similar to what you described until touch hole liners were added. As made they had a straight drilled hole that wasn’t relieved on the inside, and adding a threaded liner was simpler that pulling the breech plug and attempting to back bore the touch hole. A small sample, but a soft frizzen wasn’t an issue with them.

You also mentioned using different flints. Natural or sawcut?
Maybe Jukar ?

Maybe Jukar ?
Believe the Spanish Jukar/CVA Kentucky Rifles were 45 caliber, not 44 caliber. OP specifically mentioned a 44 caliber Kentuckian, and I am pretty sure the 44 caliber Kentuckian was made by Euroarms (or at least genetically linked to Euroarms) in Italy. Though to be honest, didn’t look things up, just going on memory, and according to the the bride….. I’ll wait for the corrections.

Back