• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I have a dumb question.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

N.Y. Yankee

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there any chance that the locks, triggers, hammers for Lyman GPR and T/C Hawken were made by the same company?

No. T/C locks made right here in the U S of A. Lyman locks are very close copies/clones made in Italy.

No, but I used a Lyman hammer on a TC lock once. Gun Works sent me one saying it would fit and it did.

No, but I used a Lyman hammer on a TC lock once. Gun Works sent me one saying it would fit and it did.

Yep. And I have used a Lyman tumbler in a TC lock but I did have to hit a few file licks on the square shank to get the hammer to go on.

Not a "stupid question."
From what I hear, the only "stupid question" is the one not asked.

Sometime way back, you could take a gun or part to the Italians and say run off a thousand copies. A fellow named Garrett from Virginia did that with a Sharps rifle and the ones he imported were extremely nice and rumored to have interchangeable parts with originals. I would not doubt that somebody did that with the TC Hawken to come up with the Italian Investarms Hawken sold by Cabelas all these years. The Lyman GPR was a different stock and some different furniture with same locks and triggers, etc. Also by Investarms.

Yes, the Cabelas was the Lyman Trade Rifle made by Investarms. The only difference is it came in LH too.

Sometime way back, you could take a gun or part to the Italians and say run off a thousand copies. A fellow named Garrett from Virginia did that with a Sharps rifle and the ones he imported were extremely nice and rumored to have interchangeable parts with originals. I would not doubt that somebody did that with the TC Hawken to come up with the Italian Investarms Hawken sold by Cabelas all these years. The Lyman GPR was a different stock and some different furniture with same locks and triggers, etc. Also by Investarms.
Nice to see mention of Garrett Arms; I found one of his Mississippi muskets at auction.
The markings are just like arsenal marks; I saw one of his Sharps carbines being strongly bid on, also. Mr. Garrett is long gone; I love my Mississippi (it's a .58) and fellows might be interested to research those products, just for the fun of reading about some fine BP repros. Thanks for mentioning!

I am not sure who really is the designer of the T/C, Lyman or Investarms, but they all share the same design. There are subtle differences in the engraving, barrel length and some details, but the locks are nearly interchangeable. The triggers are practically the same. Investarms has been selling their version of the "Hawken" for more than 40 years according to their website. That makes them very nearly contemporary with the T/C "Hawken".

Full disclosure: Yes, I have a T/C Hawken that I built from a kit in about 1978.

Its close, but I looked in my early black powder books. Lyman's "Black Powder Handbook", copyright 1975, has a line drawing of their plains rifle with the coil spring lock. The Thompson Center Hawken shows up in the 1972 version of the "Black Powder Gun Digest". I do believe that Lyman and Thompson Center were working together on the Maxi-Ball as molds for the identical Maxi-Ball were available as a T/C mold or a Lyman mold. Investarms products were originally imported by Richland Arms starting in the 1960's through the 1980's. Its not surprising that it took Investarms 10 years to start marketing their "Hawken" with the coil spring lock under their own name.

There is an old thread (2016) on our sister Forum Modern Muzzleloading on Investarms. I'm including this link because it is mainly about Investarms and side lock percussion guns including the Investarms 120B et al.
https://www.modernmuzzleloader.com/threads/investarms-hawken.28941/

Back into the early '70's the "TC" molds were made for TC by Lyman. When I bought my TC in '73 it came with or I purchased extra a shooting kit that included a steel round ball mold made by Lyman. In '74 I bought a TC Maxi Ball mold that was also steel and made by Lyman.

At some point the TC molds were changed to aluminum. Who made those? I dunno. By then I was shooting additional calibers and was purchasing all my molds from Lee. Every now and then a TC aluminum mold will show up at a gun show still in it's retail packaging.

Latest posts

Back