• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I have a Brown Bess...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes could be No real idea there probably is some listing of the region or counties But don't think it any Dublin Castle origin they where marked that on the tail of the lock . .For some reason the Store keepers & probably the BO with broad arrow was stamped opposit to normal Ordnance practice & yours clearly shows the BO on the right hand side not the left .
Regards Rudyard

Yes could be No real idea there probably is some listing of the region or counties But don't think it any Dublin Castle origin they where marked that on the tail of the lock . .For some reason the Store keepers & probably the BO with broad arrow was stamped opposit to normal Ordnance practice & yours clearly shows the BO on the right hand side not the left .
Regards Rudyard
The "DC" stands for Dublin CITY, not Dublin Castle. I remember reading about the Dublin Castle marked Muskets and I know my Musket is not one of those.

The stock has been sanded and refinished at some point, probably a long time ago to make it look better above a mantle.

This is a neat collectible, and if it were mine I'd hang it right on my wall too. I wouldn't even think about trying to fire it, no need to risk damaging a piece of history.

The stock has been sanded and refinished at some point, probably a long time ago to make it look better above a mantle.

This is a neat collectible, and if it were mine I'd hang it right on my wall too. I wouldn't even think about trying to fire it, no need to risk damaging a piece of history.
Even as deep as the proofs are on the stock you think it was sanded and refinished? I don't know enough about these old Muskets to say either way so I'll take your word for it.

The darkness of the said proofs vs the light colored wood is a dead giveaway that it has been sanded and re-oiled

I once had a 500+ piece collection of military bolt action rifles and I developed an eye for sanded and refinished stocks

Back