• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I has a question...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an antique double barrel shotgun with the measurements of...
The right one sizes at 0.76.10" or 49/64" or 19.34 mm
Left one is 0.75.10" or 3/4" or 19 mm
Both will take a 12 gauge or a .69 cal rb with plenty of room to spare.
Being that the barrel is ancient and probably made larger, is the additional room/circumference made for ticking patch balls. I tried a patch and they do snug it up a bit.
What are your thoughts. Thanks.

I would be dubious shooting a patched round ball out of an antique double shotgun; achieving accuracy might be weird... Iceman xxxv has a just acquired a pile of #2 (American) lead shot you can perhaps trade him for or buy and you will be amazed at how useful that stuff is. Just a dab will take out anything from squirrels to coyotes and it 'carries up' well at distance, retaining penetration ability. Just one shot pellet can cinch the deal on almost any small game animal or upland bird. I used to use it in a 12 guage unmentionable gun I acquired when I was 13 years old. Long barrel, full choked single, The dealer I got it from threw in a box of #2 mags. Probably got a laugh thinking about the recoil. I found myself retreating a ways from shots to keep from tearing game up too bad. Sure did put a lot of meat on the table. And for self defense it would be a great choice as an alternative to buckshot at homestead range. Good luck with your double, surely it will serve you well!

Wondering why you would be dubious?
Breech pressures would be similar, I would think.
Is it the slightly different bore size?
Is it possible roughness in the bore?
Unpatched ball shoots pretty well, enough to turn deer French at fifty yards
A fiber like tow or hemp or cedar bark will make a ‘nest’ and wad at the same time shooting on par with a patched ball.

I would be dubious shooting a patched round ball out of an antique double shotgun; achieving accuracy might be weird... Iceman xxxv has a just acquired a pile of #2 (American) lead shot you can perhaps trade him for or buy and you will be amazed at how useful that stuff is. Just a dab will take out anything from squirrels to coyotes and it 'carries up' well at distance, retaining penetration ability. Just one shot pellet can cinch the deal on almost any small game animal or upland bird. I used to use it in a 12 guage unmentionable gun I acquired when I was 13 years old. Long barrel, full choked single, The dealer I got it from threw in a box of #2 mags. Probably got a laugh thinking about the recoil. I found myself retreating a ways from shots to keep from tearing game up too bad. Sure did put a lot of meat on the table. And for self defense it would be a great choice as an alternative to buckshot at homestead range. Good luck with your double, surely it will serve you well!
Please give us your source of data that gives cause for concern?

Hello Brit, I have an unsubstantiated fear of projectiles/patches getting stuck in less than perfect/age compromised steel bores for the microsecond it takes for pressures to go catastrophically wrong; I can't tell you why, except having hand forged many types of steel and seen age's effect on ferrous metals firsthand, I fear. And sometimes my fear comes out in the open for everybody to see; common sense says a patched round ball of a given weight should not offer more resistance/pressure than an equal weight of shot column w/wads, but I Fear, nonetheless. Ekrixiphobia is the term given for fear of explosions, but I have rather a lack of trust in the material integrity of aged metal which may lead to explosions, especially in something I'm holding close to my head. I will try to endeavor in the future to conceal my personal phobia on public forums such as this and not dismay those who boldly go where I and a few winged and haloed critters fear to tread, LOL!
My considerably older brother told a story about a strict high school teacher the boys hated who they found out had a fear of sudden loud noises. Seems like one night back in the '50's a couple of them managed to get into a window and access his classroom, planting a couple of 'cherry bombs' under his desk. The next day, just before the despised teacher entered the class, one of the culprits lit the fuse with his Zippo lighter and in a minute after the teacher sat down, was rewarded with a loud noise and howling performance!

Hello Brit, I have an unsubstantiated fear of projectiles/patches getting stuck in less than perfect/age compromised steel bores for the microsecond it takes for pressures to go catastrophically wrong; I can't tell you why, except having hand forged many types of steel and seen age's effect on ferrous metals firsthand, I fear. And sometimes my fear comes out in the open for everybody to see; common sense says a patched round ball of a given weight should not offer more resistance/pressure than an equal weight of shot column w/wads, but I Fear, nonetheless. Ekrixiphobia is the term given for fear of explosions, but I have rather a lack of trust in the material integrity of aged metal which may lead to explosions, especially in something I'm holding close to my head. I will try to endeavor in the future to conceal my personal phobia on public forums such as this and not dismay those who boldly go where I and a few winged and haloed critters fear to tread, LOL!
My considerably older brother told a story about a strict high school teacher the boys hated who they found out had a fear of sudden loud noises. Seems like one night back in the '50's a couple of them managed to get into a window and access his classroom, planting a couple of 'cherry bombs' under his desk. The next day, just before the despised teacher entered the class, one of the culprits lit the fuse with his Zippo lighter and in a minute after the teacher sat down, was rewarded with a loud noise and howling performance!
Funny int it....fear. Gets us all.
I'm more frightened by driving a vehicle than anything stuffed in a muzzleloader.
Heck, I fear factory loaded ammo more!!

Oppsss! My apologies for being vague and causing angst, I will be using shot only. I was looking at a 12 ga slug I molded earlier and thought I'd measure it with the barrel just to see the fit. As well with the .69 rb, loose fit. I will be testing it with 50 grain and 7 shot to start with.
Sorry for the confusion, I some times get the cart before the horse.

To the OP: I am by far and away no expert, so I offer only my humble opinion. I expect your antique shotgun may be an 11 Gauge nominally, as it falls just about between the ~.77" 10 Gauge and ~.72" 12 Gauge. One bore might be a cylinder and the other a modified choke?

I can't comment on the safety of shooting ball/slug in the gun. Perhaps an assessment by a trusted blackpowder gunsmith is advisable.

Back