Quantcast

I HAD NO IDEA

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
We also received a ton of support from Spain aswell, seems like everyone hated the British in those days!
There is a statue dedicated to the Spanish troops that helped in the AWI (Invasion of West Florida), and it's located near the Department of State in Washington DC...,

LD

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
IN READING THE BOOK. "THE FIRST SALUTE", BY BARBARA W. TUCHMAN I HAVE BECOME AWARE OF HOW MUCH THE DUTCH PLAYED IN SUPPORTING THE COLONIES.
WE BEGAN THE REVOLUTION WITH LITTLE OR NO EQUIPMENT. WE WORKED WITH WHATEBER WAS SMUGGLED IN/
THE DUTCH GOVERNOR DEGRAPH OR DE GRAS OF THE ISLE OF ST. EUSTASIE NOT ONLY DEFIED THE BRITISH BUT ENCOURAGED THE SUPPLYING OF THE COLONISTS WITH LARGE QUANTITIES OF WAR MAKING MATERIL. A TYPICAL SHIP WOULD BE LOAEDED WITH 1.700 BARRELS OF BLACK POWDER 9PROBABLY MEANT KEGS.1.700 STAND OF ARMS INCLUDINGMUSCETS EQUIPPED WITH BAYONETS AND CARTRIDGE BOXES. BUT THEY SENT ON AVERAGE OF 6 TO SEVEN SHIPS OUR WAY EACH DAY.
THIIS OUTRAGED THE BRITISH WHO FINALLY TOOK OVER THE SMALL DUTCH ISLAND WHEN IT WAS TOO LATE AS BY THAT TIME THE FRENCH HAD JOINED OUR CAUSE.
THIIS HELP FROM THE DUTCH CAUSED THEM ALL SORTS OF EUROPEAN PROBLEMS. I SUGGEST READING ONLY THE FIRST 3 OR 4 CHAPTERS.
VERY INTERESTING AS IN ALL MY READING I HAD EVER HEARD OF THE DUTCH HELP WE RECEIVED.

DUTCH SCHOULTZ
That's news to me! Thanks, I'll look up that book. Almost no one must know this!

Reaction score
IN READING THE BOOK. "THE FIRST SALUTE", BY BARBARA W. TUCHMAN I HAVE BECOME AWARE OF HOW MUCH THE DUTCH PLAYED IN SUPPORTING THE COLONIES.
WE BEGAN THE REVOLUTION WITH LITTLE OR NO EQUIPMENT. WE WORKED WITH WHATEBER WAS SMUGGLED IN/
THE DUTCH GOVERNOR DEGRAPH OR DE GRAS OF THE ISLE OF ST. EUSTASIE NOT ONLY DEFIED THE BRITISH BUT ENCOURAGED THE SUPPLYING OF THE COLONISTS WITH LARGE QUANTITIES OF WAR MAKING MATERIL. A TYPICAL SHIP WOULD BE LOAEDED WITH 1.700 BARRELS OF BLACK POWDER 9PROBABLY MEANT KEGS.1.700 STAND OF ARMS INCLUDINGMUSCETS EQUIPPED WITH BAYONETS AND CARTRIDGE BOXES. BUT THEY SENT ON AVERAGE OF 6 TO SEVEN SHIPS OUR WAY EACH DAY.
THIIS OUTRAGED THE BRITISH WHO FINALLY TOOK OVER THE SMALL DUTCH ISLAND WHEN IT WAS TOO LATE AS BY THAT TIME THE FRENCH HAD JOINED OUR CAUSE.
THIIS HELP FROM THE DUTCH CAUSED THEM ALL SORTS OF EUROPEAN PROBLEMS. I SUGGEST READING ONLY THE FIRST 3 OR 4 CHAPTERS.
VERY INTERESTING AS IN ALL MY READING I HAD EVER HEARD OF THE DUTCH HELP WE RECEIVED.

DUTCH SCHOULTZ
I checked this book out of my local library; also surprised to read that Brits did NOT play "World Turned Upside Down" while leaving Yorktown after surrender. I'll believe Tuchman rather than the old word of mouth re-enactor legends. She didn't win two Pulitzers for nothing! Interesting over-all view and info on the Revolution.

FlinterNick

45 Cal.
Reaction score
The British had a monopoly on the North American Colonies. Spain, France, the Dutch had all lost colonial interests in North America to the British in the Seven Years War as well as prior conflicts.

The Dutch were in the business of dealing arms too. So supporting the American Revolution was a natural capital interest for them. Sections of the Netherlands were still friendly to the British too, Liege provided arms to the British.

The Spanish pretty much gut the British in Florida and Alabama and moved as far north as St. Louis, had the war progressed beyond 1783, the Spanish had planned on attacking fort Detroit with American assistance.