Quantcast

I HAD NO IDEA

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Dr5x

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
IN READING THE BOOK. "THE FIRST SALUTE", BY BARBARA W. TUCHMAN I HAVE BECOME AWARE OF HOW MUCH THE DUTCH PLAYED IN SUPPORTING THE COLONIES.
WE BEGAN THE REVOLUTION WITH LITTLE OR NO EQUIPMENT. WE WORKED WITH WHATEBER WAS SMUGGLED IN/
THE DUTCH GOVERNOR DEGRAPH OR DE GRAS OF THE ISLE OF ST. EUSTASIE NOT ONLY DEFIED THE BRITISH BUT ENCOURAGED THE SUPPLYING OF THE COLONISTS WITH LARGE QUANTITIES OF WAR MAKING MATERIL. A TYPICAL SHIP WOULD BE LOAEDED WITH 1.700 BARRELS OF BLACK POWDER 9PROBABLY MEANT KEGS.1.700 STAND OF ARMS INCLUDINGMUSCETS EQUIPPED WITH BAYONETS AND CARTRIDGE BOXES. BUT THEY SENT ON AVERAGE OF 6 TO SEVEN SHIPS OUR WAY EACH DAY.
THIIS OUTRAGED THE BRITISH WHO FINALLY TOOK OVER THE SMALL DUTCH ISLAND WHEN IT WAS TOO LATE AS BY THAT TIME THE FRENCH HAD JOINED OUR CAUSE.
THIIS HELP FROM THE DUTCH CAUSED THEM ALL SORTS OF EUROPEAN PROBLEMS. I SUGGEST READING ONLY THE FIRST 3 OR 4 CHAPTERS.
VERY INTERESTING AS IN ALL MY READING I HAD EVER HEARD OF THE DUTCH HELP WE RECEIVED.

DUTCH SCHOULTZ

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
We also received a ton of support from Spain aswell, seems like everyone hated the British in those days!
Europe was a band of fighting Crime gangs then. Spain could fight the Brits one year, be bosom buddies the next. Game of thrones in real life.
Then there is the old saying ‘when there is blood in the streets buy land,. Spain France and the Dutch were happy to tweak Britain’s nose, but importantly win or lose there were bucks to be made.

Dr5x

50 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
We also received a ton of support from Spain aswell, seems like everyone hated the British in those days!
THE MOST POWERFUL NATION IS ALWAYS hated, For instance the US of A Was, until rather recently the most hated country in the world.
That glorious title seems to be giving in favor of China. Now we can hate someone who isn't us/.
Dutch

LSU520

32 Cal
Reaction score
The Dutch were playing both sides of the War, supplying arms and supplies to both the Americans and British. The Dutch were in the War making business. The British were desperately in need of Muskets in 1776, the prior two generation of muskets were older and almost fully depreciated. The Dutch were contracted to copy Short Land Brown Bess Muskets, most notably the pattern 1777 musket by Gun Maker Pratt.

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.
Reaction score
interesting, nut were the Dutch also jockeying with Great Britain over colonies in South America and Africa? May have had a motive other than we were good guys.

LSU520

32 Cal
Reaction score
interesting, nut were the Dutch also jockeying with Great Britain over colonies in South America and Africa? May have had a motive other than we were good guys.
The Dutch never succeeded in really establishing a colonial power in the West. Other than some Caribbean Islands, notably Aruba and Corusal And a few other smaller islands. On a military scale, they never could compete with the British the Franco Dutch Dream of a Dutch Navy and French Army defeating Great Britain died Long before the American Revolution.

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.
Reaction score
The Dutch never succeeded in really establishing a colonial power in the West. Other than some Caribbean Islands, notably Aruba and Corusal And a few other smaller islands. On a military scale, they never could compete with the British the Franco Dutch Dream of a Dutch Navy and French Army defeating Great Britain died Long before the American Revolution.
The Dutch were actively fighting the British for control of Dutch Guayana in the late 1700's and it changed hands several times before being finally ceded to the Brits in 1814.

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
And I would say the Dutch did establish a pretty strong colony. Being New York. They lost it a result of war, the same way the French lost their American holdings
Dutch was still an important subgroup of New York well up to the WBTS

Okie Hog

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
And I would say the Dutch did establish a pretty strong colony.
The ancestor whose last name i bear came with the Dutch in 1638. The Woodstock celebration took place on the property the family owned.

My 4th great grandfather fought with a "German battalion" in the Revolutionary war. His son, my 3rd great grandfather, fought with a Continental unit.

LSU520

32 Cal
Reaction score
And I would say the Dutch did establish a pretty strong colony. Being New York. They lost it a result of war, the same way the French lost their American holdings
Dutch was still an important subgroup of New York well up to the WBTS
The Dutch never had the capability of holding their strategically important colonies. They gambled on the French defeating the British in most colonial wars, but the French had very little success Overall. The result was the British dominance in North America and the Caribbean And the Spanish were not keen on helping the Dutch, lack of trust due to previous war grievances Stretching back to the 30 years wars

tenngun

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Seen in hind sight the Dutch seem fated to loose New Amsterdam. Back at the time the outcome is more up in the air. The Dutch came out on top in the second Anglo-Dutch wars, having broke even in the first and in future days would do well in the third.
My Scottish ancestors are all loudly calling me names not fit to write here right now but....the total incompetence of the House of Stuart would end up putting a Dutch king on the English throne.
Williams policies would ultimately make the UK the wealthiest of the two nations. Histories dice game. A little different course of events could have resulted in a Dutch dominated eighteenth century or an Anglo Dutch United Kingdom. After all the mentality of the Dutch was closer to the English then the mentality of the Scots

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.
Reaction score
and a bit later, the throne of Britain went to a German, George of Hanover, who only wanted the wealth that went with that throne and remained homesick for Hanover through most of his reign.

Artificer

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
and a bit later, the throne of Britain went to a German, George of Hanover, who only wanted the wealth that went with that throne and remained homesick for Hanover through most of his reign.
Yes, so much so that while George 1st was alive, the official language of the English Court was German. That changed when his son George II came to power, though.

Gus

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.
Reaction score
Yes, so much so that while George 1st was alive, the official language of the English Court was German. That changed when his son George II came to power, though.

Gus
Between the better educated people in the Colonies who spoke German and all the German immigrants to the new world, I read some where that under the Articles Of Confederation the first vote for an official language favored German. And also the first President of the United States, was John Hanson of Annapolis, under the Articles.