• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I got an offer I couldn't refuse...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and its official.... Old Soldier Leatherworks LLC is now a registered business in the great State of North Carolina!
and of course here is our LOGO!
small -Old Soldier Leatherworks.jpg

and its official.... Old Soldier Leatherworks LLC is now a registered business in the great State of North Carolina!
and of course here is our LOGO!
View attachment 81271
Old Soldier Leatherworks is a subsidiary LLC of my 4 year old thriving company Old Soldier Ironworks...
and here is that very cool logo... Hmmmm, quite a striking resemblance between the two sibling LLCs...
OSI  LOGO.png

Last edited:
Old Soldier Leatherworks' 1st bag...based off of Bague Haralds patterns...
It is a classic Double hunters bag. I took some license with the asymmetrical flap. I also incorporated the heart, which is the exact same size and shape as ones found on the folded out white tail corners of the Continental Soldier great jacket and that of the British Red coat.
It is completely lined inside with pillow ticking. And has period buckles and rings.

How did I do...

Attachments

• 20210616_205544.jpg
    20210616_205544.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 20210616_205633.jpg
    20210616_205633.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 79
  • 20210616_205755.jpg
    20210616_205755.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 83
  • 20210616_205816.jpg
    20210616_205816.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 20210616_205832.jpg
    20210616_205832.jpg
    126.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 20210616_205843.jpg
    20210616_205843.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 20210616_205859.jpg
    20210616_205859.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 77
Kind of makes me envious of the old boy, that he found you. Between contracting for years and pursuing woodworking as a hobby, I have a lifetime accumulation of woodworking tools, from thickness planers and table saws down to carving chisels. Not to mention mechanic's tools, from always having maintained my own vehicles. And I have no one to pass all those tools and my accumulated experience on to. My two sons aren't particularly interested in anything that doesn't come with a keyboard and a monitor...

Ah well. I'll be officially retired from my day job August 1st, and I plan to keep on using all the tools and experience myself for years anyway, God willing.

Last edited:
Here is another thing he made and sold... but wouldn't part with...

Looks great. BTW, after doing everything right, I STILL got rust in my first two AWI period canteens, so for my THIRD one, I went with stainless steel and then just used some scouring pads to rough them up so they weren't too shiny. When you make a blanket covering, all you have to do is scour the spout a bit.

Best wishes on your new business!

Gus

Yes... the same great guy!
He is a great guy. Sorry we'll no longer see him selling at Ft. Frederic, the Eastern and such, he will be missed, but I'm glad he is still with us passing on his knowledge. He'll talk your leg off more than I... LOL
Tell him us from Ohio and Indiana bid him well. (about 6 all together)

Guss, you're supposed to dry them thoroughly between uses LOL
I prefer to use the tin. Besides, if there is rust, that just adds iron into the diet..something most of us need.

When I got home, I first turned it upside down while I cleaned the gun/s I used. THEN I used a Blow Drier on High to get rid of any remaining moisture (including blowing hot air into the spot) and finally stored them upside down with the corks out when not in use.

Here in VA, it gets so humid that it STILL rusts standard canteens even when doing all that. Tinned Iron? No thank you, I'll stick to stainless. 😉

Gus

... Here in VA, it gets so humid that it STILL rusts standard canteens even when doing all that. Tinned Iron? No thank you, I'll stick to stainless....

I hear you... just think of it as free iron suplements...LOL
I had to razz you.
Glad to hear someone else makes their own though.
I have troubles soldering stainless let alone getting it, so I steer clear of it. Copper is nice, but limited in use other than for water.

When I got home, I first turned it upside down while I cleaned the gun/s I used. THEN I used a Blow Drier on High to get rid of any remaining moisture (including blowing hot air into the spot) and finally stored them upside down with the corks out when not in use.

Here in VA, it gets so humid that it STILL rusts standard canteens even when doing all that. Tinned Iron? No thank you, I'll stick to stainless. 😉

Gus
Hot liquid bees wax... shake... done...

You've done well, pilgrim...….

A bit of constructive criticism, with all due respect:

Going forward, you may want to consider sewing on the flap insert before sewing on the lining material, so those stitches wouldn't show when the flap is lifted.

To wit:

GNBm4dam.jpg
rlTdQqUm.jpg

Looks great. BTW, after doing everything right, I STILL got rust in my first two AWI period canteens, so for my THIRD one, I went with stainless steel and then just used some scouring pads to rough them up so they weren't too shiny. When you make a blanket covering, all you have to do is scour the spout a bit.

Best wishes on your new business!

Gus
I have the same rusting problem with the one I have and I'm considering going with a copper one of the same design.

Latest posts

Back