• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

I got a idea......

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In years past I did a LOT of shooting with the foster type slug from a 12 gauge smooth bore and got good accuracy from slightly modified Rem. 870's and tinkered factory foster slugs.
The better guns/slug combo's would hold 3" sometimes a tad better at 100 yards.
Wonder if there is a foster mold available to cast foster type .20 gauge slugs?
I've found that Lyman makes a sabot type slug in .20 gauge, but i doubt the design would work in a smooth bore. The wasp waisted sabot design slug REQUIRES a rifled barrel to stabilize it. I tried the then new sabot slugs in smooth bores with dismal to worse results. Even at 25 yards the sabot in a smooth bore would keyhole. They would not stabilize at all at any range.
If the foster slug is available in .20 gauge it might make the .62 smoothie a real kick butt load.
Whaddayathink?

What about drag stabilizing. Drill a small hole in the base of the wasp-waist slug, insert a 12 inch piece of strong string and peen it in place. A knot on the end of the string should give enough drag. Insert on top of a shotgun wad. As a bonus it would be easy to recover the slug from a deer, just pull on the string. ::

I used this technique when I was a boy. I had a 300 gram sharpend steel bolt on a two meter string which I would swirl over my head and launch lengthwise over a soccer field. I almost made the distance several times and it always struck point first. It dawned on me how dangerous this weapon was when it went through the hood of a car in the parking lot. Needless to say, I ran like the devil was biting at my heels. I've always wondered what that car owner thought when he saw that steel bolt embedded in his hood. :eek:

Maxiball,
Try the following web page :http://www.ballisticproducts.com/bpi_homepage/products/prod_load_components/slug/Slug%20Mold/slugmold.htm
It is for Ballistic Products. They have foster molds for the 20 ga. They also carry many different types of slugs.

I used this technique when I was a boy. I had a 300 gram sharpend steel bolt on a two meter string which I would swirl over my head and launch lengthwise over a soccer field. I almost made the distance several times and it always struck point first. It dawned on me how dangerous this weapon was when it went through the hood of a car in the parking lot. Needless to say, I ran like the devil was biting at my heels. I've always wondered what that car owner thought when he saw that steel bolt embedded in his hood. :eek:

a buddy and i used to do that with a piece thread about 12" long which whould be bout 6" on a sewing needle....sit across the room from each other with our feet on the coffee table facing each other and toss the needle into each other boot bottoms........................bob

Back